Famous Running

One day into the training camp and Karasuno was already having running practise. Or, that's what it was supposed to be. Y/N blinked once, then twice as he tried to figure out where the hell he had ended up. To his luck or unfortune, he was at least not lost alone. Scanning the area around them, Y/N watched as Hinata nervously did the same. "Uh... Did we.. go the wrong way..? Nobody's coming...-" The h/c hair muttered, trying to make sense of the GPS on his phone. Instead of a reply, Hinata let out a curious 'oh?'. This gained the shorter first year's attention and he turned to his peer.

It didn't take a lot of effort to spot what Hinata had noticed, and it rose Y/N's curiosity, too. Farther ahead of them sat a boy playing on his phone."Oh, someone else is- Hinata..?!" Y/N wasn't able to finish his sentance before the orange haired boy had approached the stranger.

He swore he wasn't paid enough for this. In fact, he wasn't paid at all.

As Shoyo and the stranger began to spark up a conversation, the h/c hair only held his distance, standing behind Shoyo while he energetically spoke with the pudding head. Having no interest in their conversation, Y/N returned his attention to the digital map on his phone, once again trying to navigate their position so they could reunite with the rest of the team.

Just by the sheer amount of notifications on his phone, he was sure neither would hear the end of it once they'd returned. The device had already received 12 messages and numerous calls from some of the Karasuno members. More was probably to come. Due to his lack of attention, he almost dropped his phone when Hinata yelled out at the stranger.

"You play volleyball?! Those shoes! They're for volleyball, aren't they?!"

Now his interest was caught. To confirm Hinata's exclaim Y/N glanced down at the stranger's bag. Correct, out from the bag could a pair with volleyball shoes be seen.

"Ah... Yeah..." The pudding head confirmed with a sweatdrop.

"We're in a volleyball club too!! I'm Hinata Shoyo!"

"L/N Y/N..." The other crow briefly mentioned as well. It would've been impolite otherwise. Returning to his phone again, Y/N only glanced up at this 'Pudding head' every now and then. Though, didn't say anything.

"...Kozume."

"Kozume? Is that your first name?"

"Kozume... Kenma..."

Y/N froze for a second. "U-Uh, I'm sorry. I didn't really hear that. Could you say it again..?"

"Kozume... Kenma."

B R

'Is- Is he for real right now?!' the libero though to himself in shock while the two others continued to chat, not seeming to catch onto the other's stunned state.

"Hrmm... Setter..."

A I

"Really?! You're kinda completely different from our setter! Ours is a guy that gives off more of a 'grrrr' feeling. By the way, I'm a middle blocker! It's really weird, don't you think? Middle blocker is a position played by tall guys, after all."

"Yeah... Well, that's true, but... not really. When I go to games, they say that a lot about me, too. The setter is a position for people with the highest level of ability, so why is this guy in that spot? And stuff like that. Sports aren't practiculary my forte, either..." Despite the mutter in his voice, Kenma was clear in what he wanted to express.

As the setter and middle blocker continued to chat, Hinata was cut off by a fourth person.

"Kenma!" A tall guy with wild, black hair stood a slight distance away from them. "It's Kuro."

N

"Well..." Kenma got up from his spot, taking his bag. "Until next time, Shoyo, Y/N." He gave the two first years a small wave, leaving them behind with the taller male.

'That just now... That was him... Wasn't it?' Y/N had a small gape after the duo in red and black left.

"Don't go wandering wherever you like. Lucky for you Hinata, Y/N had his phone on him."

" 'The next'... Crap! We were in the middle of a run!"

"Wai- Hinata-" Before anyone could stop him, the orange haired male once again set off to finish his run.

The next day it was back to practise, practise and more practise in the gym. While the others were training mainly their spikes and serves, Nishinoya and Y/N would receive them. After lunch break, they went back at it again.

Y/N was doing more individual training, focusing on diving, receiving and setting. He couldn't say he was any good as a setter, but he could do a decent toss. Sometimes in a bizzare position too.

As the day neared an end and everyone had found a futon to sleep on during the camp, they all went to eat dinner. While the other first years chatted together, with Yamaguchi, Tsukishima and Y/N on one side of the table and Hinata and kageyama across from them, Y/N was spacing out as his thoughts buzzed around his head.

'Did he realize it was me? Was that really Brain? Should I have said something?', the younger libero stared off into the nothingness, completely lost in his own world. Though, it didn't last for long as a loud voice cut through his thoughts.

"Oi, eat up! Even if you've gotta choke it down! If you're like this now, what d'you think's gonna happen when it really gets hot? You'll shrivel up and die!" Y/N sweat dropped at the older libero who was yelling at Yamaguchi to eat. Not that he could say much, the h/c haired male had barely touched his own food before floating into his own little bubble.

The following day, the announcement of the Nekoma startup line was made by Coach Ukai.

Daichi, Shoyo, Ryuu, Asahi, Kei, Yuu and Tobio, making Tadashi, Chikara, Hisashi, Kazuhito, Koshi and Y/N starting on the bench. The first year couldn't complain much. After all, Nishinoya was way above him, but despite that, he was hoping to play anyways.

For the first time, Y/N didn't want to run away from this practise match. Was it because he though Brain was there? Or was it because he began to fall in love with volleyball all over again, his team with it? He didn't know the answer.

"Sensei."

"Oh? Ah! They're ready!"

"Yes. They've been cleaned and patched up."

Uniforms. Y/N looked at his own bright orange uniform with the number 13 on it.

'Really? What an unlucky number... Well, in Western culture, anyways. Oh well, nothing I can do about it... Let's just hope it's not a bad omen...', he sighed as he held it up. 'Wait... How am I supposed to change into this while everyone else is in the changing room too?! If I'm not fast out then I'll get scolded, and I shouldn't leave earlier beforehand 'cause then I'll loose practise time. Ugh, I really need to stop thinking.'

"Hinata's idol, the 'Small Giant', was at this school. When Karasuno was at its strongest, but back then, they weren't able to win against Nekoma even once. They likely lost in their last game, too. That era ended up leaving defeat. Go out there and clean our school's reputation."

"Yeah!!"