Chapter 14

Jon Arryn looked extremely tired, dark bags hung under his wrinkling eyes, but there was also purpose in his dark pupils. "My Lady," Jon greeted, bowling slightly. "May I come inside?" Megara stepped to the side with a sigh, knowing that whatever this was it couldn't be good. She had yet to speak with the Lord of the Vale, and she hadn't intended to change that.

The King and his hand were of little interest to her, as she still felt quite bitter about being confined to the Red Keep. In addition, she knew her meeting with Tyrion was going to be delayed, which was a shame. He had promised to bring rum in addition to his wine, and some deserts from the kitchens that she had yet to try and she didn't want to be late for it.

Jon Arryn quite purposefully ignored her display of disapproval as he entered, and Megara closed the door behind him. Dutifully, she went to fetch the parchment, ink and quill off of her table as Jon made himself comfortable at the largely unused table on the balcony. Megara set the items down before sitting across from him.

"I am sorry to disturb you like this My Lady, considering we've never really talked before. However, the matter is quite important." Jon said. Megara, forcing herself to be polite, wrote her response quickly. 'It is no problem my lord, what is the matter? Surely nothing I can really help with...'

"Quite the contrary, Lady Megara. It's just a few questions that really need answers," Jon said. 'Alright, I'll answer as best as I can,' Megara wrote. And as quickly. "Thank you, My Lady. It's about Jaime; you must spend quite a lot of time with him. What does he do when he's done guarding the King?"

'Well I don't know, most of the time he just joins me and Tyrion in the garden in the later afternoon. It will likely be the same today, considering that I am meeting Tyrion soon.' She added the last part hinting that she was in a rush but Jon didn't seem to notice, or didn't care.

"And before he guards the king?" Jon asked. 'Well, most of the mornings we spend together... but recently he's been preoccupied. What is this about?' Jon read it and silence fell for a moment. Jon seemed to be thinking at a high speed, while Megara just really wanted him to finish with his questions, the idea of a breakfast full of deserts and rum was growing more and more attractive by the second.

"What about his relations with his sister, does he talk about her a lot?" Jon continued with his questions, brushing over her own inquiry. 'No, we mostly talk about other things, Lord Arryn what is this about?'

"Nothing, my Lady, thank you. This was... very informative," Jon Arryn said, before abruptly standing and exciting the room at a fast pace, leaving the door open. She rolled her eyes as he briskly disappeared down the corridor. There were few words for what had just transpired, and all of them were rather rude. Megara sealed the door behind her as she made her way to the gardens.

She was correct in her assumption that she would be late, and felt terrible as she saw Tyrion already there looking quite bored as he gazed out at the see. His head snapped in her direction when she sat down. 'Sorry, Tyrion – Jon Arryn just showed up and started asking these strange questions...'

He replied but Megara's attention had moved on from him entirely as her eyes registered what was on the table. There was Tyrion's wine goblet of course, and a large glass bottle of rum, but neither of those things caught her interest. What did interest her was the wide range of colorful and tasty looking treats arranged on the table before her, and she couldn't help but grin.

She looked up at Tyrion, who had a smirk on his face as he observed her reaction. 'Tyrion, I know I'm betrothed to Jaime but if you remain to be this amazing of a man, I may just ask to change that.' She laughed as he did, before picking up the first of many treats the morning would offer. 'Careful, I may take you up on that.' He too began dining on the array of sweets before them.