1

a little over a year later

Josiah

I ran downstairs, brushing past Fred.

"Happy birthday," he deadpanned, furrowed brows as he watched me fly by.

"Yeah," I said, nodding as I slowed down, "you, too."

"Bro," he said, holding his arms out.

I just sighed and stopped in my tracks, dropping my backpack. "I'm not hugging you."

"You're hugging me," he said, grinning as he crept over to me.

"Arabella, look at your brother," I said, looking over at her.

She just giggled, pounding her hands on the counter a few times.

"Where's mommy?" I asked, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

She pointed towards the pantry and I walked into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" Adora yelled, popping out of the pantry.

Arabella jumped, letting out a cry.

"Aw, bebe, I didn't mean to scare you," Adora said, pulling her out of her high chair.

"Good one," I said, smiling as Adora pressed a kiss to Arabella's cheek.

"We're legal now," Fred said, smiling as he leaned against the counter.

"You are," Adora said, "your dad and I have a very special dinner planned for you. I think your mom wants you three to go out to breakfast-"

"I-I can't," I said, looking down at my phone as I bit down on my lip, "I have this thing, at school."

I just nodded and Fred furrowed his brows. "It's a Friday. We don't go in until ten on Fridays."

"Y-Yeah, I know," I said, "it's a meeting."

"For what, your secret nerd book club?"

"Something like that, yeah," I said, smiling over at him.

"Ah, you're going to hook up with someone in the janitor's closet," Fred said, grinning over at me.

"Gross," Adora muttered, bouncing Arabella around.

"Oh, Adds, don't act like you didn't hook up with people in the janitor's closet."

"Oh, I did," she said, nodding, "but I was also, like, seventeen? Maybe?"

I just laughed and looked over at Fred. "I'm about to have to go. I'll see you guys later, okay?"

"Stop by your dad's building if you have time, I know he wants to see you!" Adora yelled as I ran out the door and to my car.

It was pouring rain, just how I liked it.

I got into my car and turned it on, turning the heat on.

I pulled out of the driveway and sped the whole way to school. I was eager to get there, and for one reason.

Once I got there, I used my student ID card to key myself into the building, smiling as soon as I opened the door.

I ran to the library and once I got there, I stopped in front of the door. I slowly opened it, closing it behind me. I pulled the blind down over the window, smiling a small smile as I dropped my backpack.

I walked through the library quietly, leaning my head back with a grin as soon as my eyes landed on Catherine.

I slowly crept over to her. She was bent over a table, reading a book. Her pencil skirt was riding up, her heels making her long legs look even longer.