9

two weeks later

Fred

"Ah, fall break," I said, falling back onto the couch, "nothing better."

Alexis just smiled uncomfortably, biting down on her bottom lip as she twiddled her thumbs in her lap.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking over at her, my hand resting on my abdomen.

"Be supportive?" She said, looking over at me.

I just nodded over at her and she angled herself towards me, sighing. "I've been keeping something from you."

I sat upright, nodding yet again. "Okay."

She cleared her throat. "I've been talking to someone."

My eyebrows just shot up and I nodded slowly. "Oh."

"I was afraid to tell you about him," she said, "and for whatever reason, I'm not sure, but last night, he asked me to be his actual girlfriend."

I just let out a breath, a small smile tugging at my lips. It wasn't one of those happy smiles, though, it was one of those smiles that actually showed what I was feeling on the inside.

"Well, what did you say?" I asked, smiling.

She bit down on her bottom lip. "I told him that I wanted you to meet him first."

"Alexis," I said, standing up, "my judgement should have nothing to do with it."

"But it does, Fred," she said, following me into the kitchen, "you're like, I don't know, a brother to me. I want you to always at least be able to tolerate the guys I associate myself with."

I just furrowed my brows together. A brother?

"Well, I'm sure your judgement is enough," I muttered, reaching inside the fridge for a bottle of water.

"You're acting l-"

"Alexis, I'm not acting any way," I said, "I can't wait to meet him, if that's what you want me to say."

She just smiled, nodding. "Well, he's coming with me tonight."

"Tonight?" I asked, furrowing my brows together.

"I don't want to keep him waiting for an answer," she said, shrugging, "i-is that okay?"

I just flexed my jaw muscle. "Yeah, that's fine."

She just smiled. "Okay. I'll see you later, alright?"

I just nodded, watching as she walked towards the door.

"Fred, please be nice," she said, looking back at me.

"I'm always nice," I said, "see you later."

She just nodded and opened the door, and Jo walked in right after her.

"Hey," he greeted, throwing his keys on the counter.

"So apparently, I'm a brother to her," I said, smiling as I leaned down on the counter.

"She told you about the guy, I'm assuming," Jo muttered, shrugging out of his jacket, "and you told her about your feelings?"

"No, feelings weren't mentioned," I said, "and you knew about this guy?"

He nodded. "She told me about him as soon as they started talking. And he's already popping the girlfriend question, this kid moves fast."

I just sighed, leaning against the counter. "She's bringing him over tonight."

He nodded, biting down on his bottom lip. "Just don't make anything too obvious, since you're a brother to her, and all."