Days Gone Bye

A police car pulls up near an abandoned gas station. General Alice Prospero and Deputy Rick Grimes get out of the car. They walk around overturned vehicles and the trash that was littered everywhere. Rick holds a small fuel tank in his hand and is trying to look for some fuel while Alice keeps watch, her hand on her gun.

They walk past several vehicles where decomposing dead people sit in their cars, flies buzzing around them. Alice walks towards the gas station and sees a sign that says No Gas'. Alice swears and looks to Rick, shaking her head. They start to walk back towards the car when they hear footsteps.

Alice draws her gun as Rick kneels down and looks under a car. He sees a small girl walking toward a teddy bear. She is in a nightgown and some slippers. She picks it up and starts walking away from Rick and Alice.

"Little girl? I'm a policeman. Little girl." Rick said as the little girl came out in front of them, her back facing them.

The girl stops.

"Don't be afraid. Okay? Little girl." Rick says again.

Alice shifts on her feet, her gun trained on the girl.

"Rick, I have a bad feeling about this." She said.

Rick ignored her as the girl turned around. When she does, Alice growls and lowers her gun a little. The girl is like the others they have encountered, the Undead, or a Stiff, as Alice likes to call them. The girl starts to shuffle towards Rick and groans, but before she can get to him, Alice raises her gun and fires. The little girl is struck in the head and she falls down dead. Rick stares in shock.

*A Month Earlier*

Rick and another deputy, Shane Walsh, are sitting in their police car talking and eating.

"What's the difference between men and women?" Rick asked as he looked over at Shane. Shane looked at Rick and smiled.

"Is this a joke?" Shane asked.

"No, serious."

"I never met a woman who knew how to turn off a light. They're born thinking in a switch, it only goes one way. On. They're struck blind the second they leave a room. I mean every woman, I ever let have a key... I swear to God. Come home, house all lit up, and my job, apparently because because my chromosomes happen to be different I gotta walk through that house, turn off every single light this chick left on." Shane stated, getting fired up.

"Is that right?" Rick asked, trying not to smile.

"Yeah, baby. Alright, Reverend Shane's preaching to you now, boy." Shane says.

Rick smiles.

"The same chick, mind ya. She'll bitch about global warming. That's when Reverend Shane wants to quote from the Guy Gospel and say "Um, darling? maybe you, and every other pair of boobs on this planet just figured out that the light switch see, goes both ways, "maybe we wouldn't have so much global warming." Shane goes on.

"You say that?" Rick asked.

Shane slightly nodded as he continued.

"Yeah. Anyway, uh Polite version Still man, that that earns me this. This look and loathing you would not believe. And that's when the exorcist voice pops out. "You sound just like my damn father. Always, always yelling about the power bill, telling me to turn off the damn lights."

"What do you say to that?"

Shane chuckled.

"You know what I wanna say. I wanna say, "Bitch, you mean to tell me you've been hearing this your entire life and you are still too damn stupid to learn how to turn off a switch? You know I don't actually say that, tho."