CHAPTER 1

Everything Theodora had ever heard about death, drowning in particular, was about how the final moments were some of the most peaceful you'll ever experience. That as soon as your body stopped receiving the oxygen it needed to sustain life, everything slowed down and the world around you clearer than it had ever been, that the only thing you would hear would be the slowing of your heartbeat. Theodora always thought that sounded nice. Sometimes the idea of those last peaceful moments was all that could comfort her.

Well, she thought, whoever said that dying was peaceful was full of it. Dying was not a peaceful experience. Her lungs longed for much needed oxygen, her arms and legs were so tired from trying to swim, her heart beat wildly in her chest and her eyes burned from the water. Dying was not peaceful and Theodora felt a bit robbed. She felt like she had been in this weird stage of dying forever, she was too far gone for anyone to save her now, and she doubted anyone would, but too alive to have lost consciousness. In fact, Theodora was practically praying that her death would not be so prolonged. Leave it to me, she thought, to be impatient with my own death. Eventually though, Theodora's heart did start to slow, the world did become clear, crisp and, to her surprise, seemed to gleam a bit. Theodora was finally dying and for a moment she got that peace she had longed for. Too soon though her lungs' final bit of oxygen was absorbed into her body, her heart stopped, and the gleam faded into black.

Theodora had died.