32

"You okay, Maya?" It was Ashton. 

"I'm fine. I'll be down there in a minute." I closed my eyes. I knew he was still standing by the door. I heard him slowly walk in.

"So, you and Asa, what are you guys?" He sat on the beanbag chair in front of me.

"What do you mean what are we?"

"You know, are you guys dating? Just friends?...."

"We're dating." I responded with no hesitation. Ashton looked confused.

"Really? Because Asa told me otherwise." His way with words was manipulative. He was a manipulative person. I could sense it. 

"What are you talking about? What did he tell you?"

He stood up and came over towards me. "Asa told me you guys are just friends?" He had a slight smirk plastered on his face. 

"Wh-what are you talking about?"

"Hey, don't get mad at me, I'm just repeating what your 'boyfriend' told me" Putting air quotation marks on boyfriend. Why was he doing this?

I stood up off the bed. "Okay Ashton, even if we aren't dating, why do you care? Whatever is happening is between Asa and I. Not you." Pointing at his chest. 

He started laughing and came closer towards me, whispering. "I'm asking because I know Asa wouldn't date a killer."  That smirk never left his face. 

"THAT BASTARD WAS GOING TO KILL ME!" I cried out, but quickly controlled myself so Asa doesn't hear me.

"Oh, but you're running away from the police. And that's not a good thing, is it?" He was talking to me as if he had me wrapped around his long finger. 

I stepped closer to him. "What are you going to do Ashton? You don't scare me."

"I don't?" He stepped even closer  towards me, leaning in for a kiss. 

I grabbed his face and dug my nails into the sides of his cheeks as hard as I could. "Get any closer to me again and I will do to you what I did to Jake. I did it once and I will gladly do it again." I whispered in demand, and walked back downstairs.

Asa saw me walking down the stairs and he smiled. "Come on Maya! You're missing the game!" He was so genuinely excited and happy. I didn't want to tell him this and take that away from him. Ashton and I's encounter will be our little secret. 

I rushed towards him and sat next to him. "You okay?" He put his arm on my shoulder.

"Couldn't be better." I smiled.

Ashton slowly came back downstairs. I could see the blood stains on his face from my nails. His hand was over his mouth, attempting to cover the scars.

"Yo Ashton are you okay man?" Asa asked. 

Shut up, Asa! Ignore it. I said to myself. 

He removed his hand and blood slowly  ran down from his left cheek. "Yeah, I'm fine I just-"

I gave him the biggest death stare, waiting to see what he was going to say happened to him. 

" I just- scared my cat when I sat on the corner of my bed and he scratched me. N-no big deal. Let's keep playing."

I kept staring at him, and he looked back, frightened out of his mind. Ashton really didn't know who he was dealing with.