Girl Band

Nicky rushed outside at the sound of tires on the street. She had heard a screech of tires against her neighbor's driveway.

"This could be him," she yelled to her sisters who were sprawled on the floor inside their treehouse.

"Nicky! Stop yelling! It's probably the milkman," Alexis yawned, her eyes drooping low from having stayed up all night.

"Or Mrs. Cummings going out to the spa," Diane guessed, her eyes shut.

Nicky huffed, walking to the railing that ran the perimeter of their fancy treehouse, which stood beside the fence, separating their property form that of the Cummings', their neighbor.

Her tiny fingers reached over to the binoculars hanging around her neck. She looked through them at the vehicle that was parked in the Cummings' driveway.

It was the milkman!

Frustrated, Nicky stomped inside, dropping onto the floor. Whenever were they going to bring Cole in?

Cole was the Cummings' black stallion from their farm. Nicky had seen the creature last summer when he had come for a visit.

Cole had been friendly, gladly accepting Nicky's sugar treats and had  let her ride on him. She took an immediate liking to the animal and wanted to see him ever since.

Last night, the trio had overheard Mr. Cummings barking orders at his men that their stables should be cleaned out before dawn. Which meant that Cole was coming over!

Nicky had persuaded the twins to stay up all night at their tree house to give him a welcome from the 'Girl Band', their music band which Nicky had formed, resulting in them playing their instruments all night, much to their neighbors' irritation

Another loud screech of tires, and Nicky's ears perked up.

The twins were already snoring when Nicky got to her feet and sprang outside. She held the binoculars against her eyes, gazing at the huge truck that had arrived at the Cummings'.

Two men dressed in blue opened the double doors in the back of the trailer. Nicky's heart shattered to pieces at the sight of a chubby chimpanzee stepping out of it. It grunted at the air, sniffing around, probably looking for bananas or something.

Nicky thrust her binoculars onto the floor. A string of curses escaped her lips as she stomped over to the pair of drums and little guitars all stacked against the wall.

She sat by the railings of their tree house, her feet dangling over the edge, and struck at the guitar strings with all her might to get over her frustration.

Nicky looked about her when a sudden grunt sounded in the air and a thick scent clogged her nostrils. She scanned the ground below her and to her surprise there stood the Cummings' Chimpanzee gazing adoringly at the guitar in her arms.

Nicky raised an eyebrow, "Wanna join Girl band?" she asked tentatively.

A loud grunt of affirmation resonated in the air, shocking the twins out of their sleep, and Nicky swore that she saw the Chimpanzee smirk at her.