EIGHT

EIGHT:

Raven Point Heights was a dismal place, a small neighbouring town that had been largely swallowed up by Berk stuck out on a promontory above the Yakdown Plains. The entire place was crammed with social housing units, narrow streets and trash cans. Astrid pulled up by a series of three storey blocks marked on a potholed street marked 'Strike Avenue'. Hiccup looked up in concern and then unfastened his seat belt.

"Well, it could be worse," he commented as he opened the door. Astrid pulled the scarf tight around her neck and clambered out as well, peering at the trash on the streets and the burnt-out car a hundred yards up the road.

"How?" she asked as she handed Hiccup his crutches then locked the car as they got out. He smiled.

"There could actually be a riot going on," he told her as they headed to the nearest block. As they arrived at the door, they realised the block held apartments 29-42. Glancing along, they realised they needed to go two blocks to the left and made their slow way up the uneven path until they reached BLOCK 1 Apartments 1-14. Taking a breath. Hiccup pressed on the buzzer to Apartment 14.

There was a long pause before a rough voice growled "Wotcher want?"

"We're from the Children's Services Department," Astrid said clearly. "We're here to see Natasha Fury."

"Yer ain't supposed ter come without warning," the male voice growled.

"Should I report you're refusing to grant us access?" Astrid asked him pointedly, her voice hard. She had done numerous Child Protection courses as part of her work and was the Child Protection lead for the School: she was not intimidated by anything.

"Never said that," the male voice snapped as there was a buzz. "Door's open. Come on up." Astrid pushed the door before it could lock again and then cast her husband a worried look.

"Not getting a good feeling about this, Babe," she murmured as he limped through. "They don't seem too keen to welcome us."

"Could just be having a bad day," Hiccup murmured as he eyes the steep stairs and the 'OUT OF ORDER' sign on the small elevator. "And it's about to get worse," he added and began to make his way up the stairs. There was a long pause as he struggled up to the third floor, panting hard at the effort with his crutches. Astrid arrived behind him, her eyes scanning the doors and finding the grubby door at the end, the dark blue paint peeling and the number 14 askew. Allowing her husband to get his breath back, Astrid walked to the door and rapped on it firmly. There was muttering and a scruffy woman opened the door wearily, her lined face scowling at the sight of the young couple.

"Astrid Haddock, Hiccup Haddock," the blonde said firmly. "We're here to see Natasha." Scowling, the women beckoned them in, muttering to herself.

"Let yerself in," she called as she ambled away, her carpet slippers sagging at the back, her blotchy veined legs wobbling under her long stained brown skirt. The carpet was stained and smelled as they entered a cramped room. "Girl! Get in 'ere!" Hiccup flinched at the yell and cast around the room, seeing grubby windows, a sagging brown leather couch and a man in a stained vest and disgusting jeans, slumped in the seat, staring at the television, a can of beer in his hand. The man took a drag on his cigarette and scowled at the two newcomers.

"Where's the brat?" he growled. "Get out here!"

A half-hidden door opened and the young girl ran out, her eyes wide and worried. Hiccup recognised her instantly from the picture he had been shown. In real life, Natasha was skinny and her shoulders were hunched as if she was trying to make herself look smaller. Her thick black hair was in a couple of small braids that reached her collar, her bright green eyes were brilliant with anxiety and there were bruises on her cheek and neck.