49: Megan

Megan and Persephonie did some things under the bed covers. Also, Persephonie is going to get married to Cedric soon.

Song: Aftertaste by Shawn Mendes

I woke up to the lark's song, next to Persephonie. She was curled up against me, in a peaceful slumber, her bare skin warm. I placed my lips on her forehead and she stirred.

"Good morning, Princess of Spring."

"Summer," she murmured.

There was a knock on the chamber's door, and I quickly got out of the bed and pulled on the flowy, blue dress. There was another knock, and Persephonie groaned. "I'm coming!" she called.

I averted my gaze as she pulled the quilt off her body, and pulled on her nightgown. My eyes followed her feet to the door. She opened it, and I allowed my eyes to look at the visitor. My heart dropped as I saw Prince Cedric greet Persephonie with a kiss. But I did not say or do anything. I could only hope that the fopdoodle didn't look my way.

Prince Cedric whisked Persephonie away, and the door closed, leaving me alone in the princess' room. I adjusted my dress and pulled my hair into a knot on the top of my head and pulled on my bonnett.

I figured I should head out before the maids came in here to clean. I sneaked out to the courtyard, but I did not go to town. Persephonie would be getting married in two days, and I wanted to see her once more before I left her forever.

Instead, I made my way to the stables, where I had been staying for the past couple weeks. The stable boy- Vincent- is the reason I'm still breathing. He had found me about a month ago in the outskirts of town, passed out from starvation. He dragged me to his house, where his family fed me the remains of their watery pea soup.

They ate almost nothing the next day.

 I started passing out the hay to the horses, when Vincent came inside. His hands held a thin slice of bread. We each conquered half of it for our breakfast. As I savored the stray crumbs, I took in the twelve year old's scrawny frame, and my stomach turned in guilt as I recalled the copious amounts of food I had taken from him.

"I take it you were with the Princess last night" Vincent said, snapping me back to reality. I nodded. He knew Persephonie and I were close; As far as he knew, we were childhood friends.

"Are you taking the horses out today?" I asked.

Vincent nodded. "King Patrick wants 'em in shape for the wedding."

The wedding. I dreaded that word, oh so much. A wedding had taken me away from my family. I could not return to them. Not after I had run from my wedding. It would be disgraceful and humiliating. And now, a wedding is going to take Persephonie away from me as well.

"Vincent, what is the difference between a wedding and a funeral?" I wondered out loud. Vincent looked confused. "People dress nice for a funeral. Songs are sung at a funeral. Flowers and decorations are used at a funeral. All these things are also done at weddings. So tell me, Vincent, what is the difference between a wedding and a funeral?"

A/N: Thoughts? This book has one more chapter left, then an epilogue. Vote and comment!