Chapter 2-Blessed Day

"Blessed day, sweetheart. Let's get you up and ready!" Eden slowly opened her eyes and the slightly blurry image of her mother's endearing face was hovering above hers. Her mother sat on the bed and placed both of her frail, aging hands over Eden's dainty left hand, giving it a warm squeeze. "Aside from when you deliver your first child, today is the most significant day of your life God has blessed you with. I want to make sure you look every bit the part of a Gilead wife. So up you go, I made breakfast for you. I'll come back up here in a couple of hours. Make sure you've finished eating and bathed by then."

Eden gave a dis-oriented nod and sat up as her mother clunked dutifully downstairs. She knew her mother was overwhelmed, giddy even, with a sense of purpose and excitement. She knew that her mother would spend all afternoon prepping and preparing her as if she was one of Eden's dolls from her childhood. Not that Eden didn't wholeheartedly share her mother's emotions, but there was still the added pressure of getting pregnant and delivering a healthy child that had burdened her last night lingering in her mind. She let out a nervous sigh and picked up the tray on her nightstand to begin eating the oatmeal laden with blackberries, honey and cinnamon that had been prepared for her.

After breakfast and a thorough bath her mother came back to her room, right on cue to primp her. She had a grey, woven bag in hand Eden noticed, prompting her to ask what was inside of it. Eden's mother gave a small, somewhat sly smile and opened it up then dumped all of the contents from it onto Eden's bed. What lie before Eden shocked her. There was an eyelash curler, a hot pink tube of mascara, a pale pink lipstick, and what appeared to be a tiny, shimmery gold sample of perfume labeled "Vanilla Cupcake." The name painted a sugary, warm picture in Eden's head, which she imagined was kindof the attraction a shopper at a store would have to it. But what store in Gilead sold perfume?

"Where did you get all of this? I thought these kinds of things were forbiden." "Well yes, but exceptions can be made." her mother replied. "After all, it is a special day. Certainly a little makeup and perfume won't be too noticeable, by anyone other than yourself and your husband ofcourse. So don't worry, I won't apply enough to raise any questions from the authorities."

Eden felt a twinge of confliction inside of her. On one hand, she had spent the greater half of her life being taught that makeup and anything scented or beauty related from the time before represented vanity and lust. That girls and women only needed the basic essentials to groom themselves-a bar of soap designed for your face, a jar of unscented moisturizer, a toothbrush and paste ofcourse, and a bottle of lotion. Commander's wives and econo-wives had access to shaving gel and razors, so Eden had always used her mother's. Ofcourse shampoos and conditioners existed, along with body soap and a loofa. And naturally bobby pins and hair ties were accessible since women were forced to wear their hair in some variant of a bun. But nothing fancy schmancy at all. And absolutely nothing scented was sold at market places. Atleast, not to Eden's knowledge.

But on the other hand..the part of her that wanted to be beautiful and desirable to her intended said otherwise. Maybe it was sinful, but she hoped God would understand that she wanted to be presentable to her husband. Not out of lust, but out of love. After all, what girl wouldn't want to look and smell the part for the man she wwas bound to serve and obey, set above all others except for God. So with that, she looked at her mother and returned her slightly mischevious smile, saying "Alright, go ahead."