Chapter 22- Legal Guardian? Or Nah?

Daniels POV-

        The doctor came in.

        "It was quite bad at first, but she'll make it. She lost a lot of blood, and her cuts are deep. If you hadn't found her when you did, she'd be dead. We also found something wrong with her brain. It looks like a tumor. I guess we missed it before. We should be able to get it out before it spreads, but all of this is very costly. I don't suppose she has any relatives? Can she afford this?" Shock. Absolute shock was all I felt at this point. I looked over at Jordan, he looked as if he could explode.

        "Kid, go tell everyone else." I requested quietly, he nodded and left our presence.

        "Her family is dead. She's on her own. She's...poor."

        "Then we can't do anything. She's still too young. She needs someone, a legal guardian to allow these things for a start, and plus she needs someone to pay for it. Although it pains me to say it, we'll have to leave her for dead." Leave her for dead? What kind of hospital is this? I blame America for this kind of heath care.

"You're supposed to be a doctor. You're supposed to help people!" I yelled, but he walked away. 

        And at that moment, I did something really stupid. I couldn't help it, I had to. I couldn't just let her die.

"I'm her legal guardian. I will pay for the expenses!" I yelled, before he went into his room. He walked back to me.

"Oh, you are? Okay, we'll need paperwork. I'll have a nurse go and get it. By the way, you can go in there if you're her guardian. She's asleep however, so don't wake her." He walked away.

        A tumor. This is how she saw that vision. I thought maybe she just had a mental breakdown and no sleep, but it actually is a tumor. How did they not catch it? Dammit.. This is my fault. I'm a horrible guardian. Clenching my fists, I walked to everyone. The girls were holding hands tight, closing their eyes. The guys were all comforting Jordan. Liam was alone. He had his shirt covering his mouth. He was crying. I sat beside him.

        "I'll pay the fines. Don't worry about it." He wiped his tears, and held back another sob. I patted his back. "She's gonna be okay. You really care for her, don't you? Just as much as Jordan."

        "Jordan cares about revenge and killing Ben, more than being with Lexi. Yes, he loves her very much but...I doubt it's as much as I do." Liam said, defending himself.  "Jordan is broken. Lexi deserves a man who will stay strong for her. Besides, Jordan dumped her. So why does everyone act like they're still dating? Lexi didn't want to tell me, but it was obvious they broke up. She doesn't love me, she pities me-" I tuned him out and let him rant, and  lost myself in my thoughts.

       After I signed the paperwork, I left the place and went to Lexi's home. The guys stayed behind.

        I read Lexi's journal. I felt guilty about it, but I did. I was just looking for information on Ben. But when I read it, I really read it. She was 15 when she met everyone that was here, including Alex. She was thinking it was all going to be alright, when suddenly the guys were playing with her, and the girls. And then she dealt with drama with the guys. Somehow, that escalated into school murders, which led to Ben. Which led to everything that has happened. She lost her mom and dad, Alex, her childhood. And I always asked myself, how is she okay? That's when I found a paragraph that really bugged me. The one I knew was coming.

        ''I act strong for everyone, and I act like I am okay. And I guess I am, I am okay but...I can feel me losing myself. Suddenly, death doesn't seem so bad anymore. It's better than this life I live. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suicidal. Just broken. I know I said that my life is normal to me, but seeing others happy? How am I supposed to be okay with my life, knowing others have it better. Knowing that...my life sucks! It's actually horrible that I'm used to this. I want to die. I want to be out of my misery, but...I can't. I want to live to tell my story. And, my friends would be devastated."

        She reminds me of my little sister, who I lost to suicide. I guess that's why I want to protect her, and why I just...I feel saddened without her. I guess that's why it killed me seeing her hurt. She should just be some random girl I have to protect for the sake of my job, but, she's not. I've done a horrible thing and I've gotten emotionally attached. Besides, I did a shit job at protecting her. I'll do better in the future, if my boss let's me keep my job.

        I got a call from my fiancee.

        "Babe, it's late. Come home. I'm waiting for you."

        "Ah, sorry. I'm working."

"Seriously? The girl is in a fucking hospital. I saw it on the news. Come home."

"I need to make sure she's safe, Teri. I need to track down Ben."

"That's not your job. Your job is protecting her, and you don't need to do that right now. I miss you. That stupid kid got in the way of our relationship. We never see each other, ever. I hope she fucking dies." She yelled and hung up. Although I was pissed she would say that about an innocent girl, I felt bad. 

        I guess she was right. I haven't seen her, truly, since the time I proposed. I called her back.

"Look, instead of me always protecting her...I'll get someone else to do it for me. She has a lot of guys willing to do it." I couldn't believe I was saying I would stop protecting her, but I've known Teri for 8 years. She's my best friend, my fiancee. The girl i'm in love with. I can't lose her. Besides, I'm a horrible guardian. I deserve to be in that hospital bed, not her. Never her. She needs someone better.

"So you'll come home?"

"Yeah baby." I smiled and hung up.

        Lexi's POV-

        I woke up, and it was pitch black. I realized I was in the hospital. My whole body ached, but it wasn't as bad as before. It was obviously night time, due to the lights being shut off. I felt a lump beside my bed. In fact, two on each side of the bed. I squinted my eyes to see what was there. To my surprise, Liam and Jordan were sleeping. They were sitting on the floor, leaning their heads on my hospital bed. My heart warmed. They stayed here. 

        "I love you both." I whispered quietly, and fell back into a deep sleep.

A/N: 300 reads next part goes up~~ Also, high school sucks. I've got so much homework, and no free time. BUT, I am reading again and that might make me get back into writing. So...it's complicated. And also, the story settles down after this if you were worried. Kind of goes back into it's original plot. <3. Share share share!! Comment, vote. Not edited, as usual. It comes in handy. Love you all. :)