Chapter 4: Elven Hospitality

I rolled over and gave a contented sigh. Breathing in, I stretched my arms out and opened my eyelids, yawning. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. Then I stopped. Where was I? I was in a four poster bed, the curtains drawn. I touched the beautiful silk blankets with the huge, wolf fur bedspreads on top of them. The cushions were tasselled gold, made of the finest red velvet. My stomach filled with butterflies, nervous as to what had happened the previous night. I was still in my ripped red dress. Confused, I went to get up, when the left curtain swung open. There stood Thorin, in his sleepwear, smiling.
'Good morrow my Lady!' He said cheerfully, handing me a bread roll and a goblet filled with water. I looked at him, muddled. 'Oh don't fret; you slumbered off by the fire so I brought you in here. Nothing happened.' He winked, climbing back in and closing the drape. I settled back down, and propped myself up with a cushion. I took a bite of my roll and sipped my water, thinking of my father and if he was alive. I swallowed down the food slowly; it felt like it was lodged in my throat. I looked down and held back my tears of dread. 'He'll come back. You're father's a warrior. You know he'd do anything for you.' Thorin gently said, cuddling me. I inhaled deeply and then smiled at him.
'I know. You'd of thought they'd be back by now.' I replied concerned for their lives. Just as I said this, we heard the echo of tapping on the gates.
'A messenger at this time in the morning?' Thorin muttered, climbing out of his bed. I followed him in pursuit. He snatched up his sword just before he opened the door. 'Stay behind me, just in case.' He whispered. I nodded, and stayed a little back. He took the great handle and flung the huge door open. Sunlight cascaded in and I had to squint. A small thrush hovered in the air. It tweeted at Thorin and I came to his side. His mouth had dropped open, shock on his face. 'What's wrong?' I asked, suddenly afraid.
'Many lives have been lost. The orcs have almost taken Gladden Fields, they make plans to move through Mirkwood and siege Dale and Erebor.' I placed my hand on his shoulder.
'Thank you.' I said to the thrush and closed the door, bolting it.

'We have to do something.' Thorin paced up and down by the great dining table. I looked down at the map in front of me. 'We could go to the dragons? They might help us.' I said. Thorin looked at me in distaste.
'You think fire-breathing reptiles that murdered and looted the dwarves of the Grey Mountains will want to help us?' He scowled.
'Alright, it was just an idea, goodness me.' I muttered inaudibly. His short temper was fowl, and it was painful when he snapped at me. 'Well then that leaves the elves of Mirkwood or the great eagles, but how you intend to reach the birds without falling into battle I do not know.' I concluded, folding my arms, resting back into my chair and looking at him.
'I cannot and will not join with the elves.' He stubbornly said, slamming his fist on the table. 'Then our people will die and you will have to fight off the orcs alone. Thorin, you must use your power, your strength and save those who are slowly fading right now on Gladden Fields.' He looked at me, loathing and doubt filling his eyes. I stood up and stormed off to my room.

I slammed the door and fell to my knees letting out a heartfelt groan through my teeth. I looked up from my lap to see my father's wooden clarinet on my bureau. He'd given it to me when I was very young, only 15 years of age. I got up and clenched my fists. If Thorin wouldn't go and team up with the elves then I would. I changed into my short, brown, leather hunting dress and grabbed my bow. I put on my buckskin hunting gloves and boots, lacing them tight. I tied my weapon belt around my waist, putting Airabeth's throwing swords on it for safe keeping. I dipped into my bureau and found my beautiful sword. I had found it in Mirkwood once when hunting deer. It was an elvish blade, but where it was forged was a mystery to me. I buckled it to my holster and then grabbed my final item of attire. An emerald jewel my father had found in Moria. He had told me it would bring me luck when I needed it most. I placed it in my breast pocket and then took in a deep breath, contemplating what I was about to do. I stormed through the dining hall, leaning over Thorin's shoulder and snatching up the map.
'Where do you think you're going?' He demanded, staring me out.
'I'm going to help our people.' I replied with dignity, and with that I left Erebor.