Chapter Eleven: Decimus

He rushed from the room like he was stepping on hot, branding coals. If not for his rejection I would have rushed after him but due to my utter shock I stayed still in my spot. All I could do was watch him as he came, flustered to the point his foot nearly slipped from underneath him.

Even as his absence grew, his expression still lingered in my mind, imprinted, like it had been carved in stone. I remembered everything about him, the way he felt against me, soft and warm. I remembered his face. Those sweet, soft pink lips were panting, still coated with a thin layer of our mixed saliva. His eyes resembled clouds of murky smoke—swirling with confusion and yet sparked by a deep fire within. A kind of fire that danced with uncertainty and lust—refusing to tear away even as his face had grown pink in embarrassment.

I've never failed to court any man or woman I had taken interest in, and yet the Prince of Avalon was the first. His naive attitude and sweet demeanor made me adore him all the more. I could have laughed, caring for a young prince was something that never would have crossed my mind before and yet here I was—presented with such a dilemma.

His heart was pure, something I didn't see in a lot in royals—or anyone for that matter. Not many could speak their mind like Nyx, and few would do so before a King.

Strange I know, but he was...different.

How could I chase such a boy? He was naive, sensitive, and lacked nerve--yet my pants grew tight when thinking about him.

I knew it was silly to think about him when I really should have been going after him. And in my current passion I did so, pushed open the doors, ready to follow after the boy in devotion. His retreating form was the only thing on my mind, but was halted in my mission by a gloved hand propped on a hip.

"You went hunting without me!" my niece, Rose, cried. "how could you!"

I looked from the left hall to the right, but the boy was already long gone, not even a trace of him remained. My eyes took in the form of my dear niece, her expression mad as a hornet. Brown locks curled at her shoulders, and her dress, powered blue, pooled elegantly at her feet.

"I wasn't aware you wanted to go," I remarked, satisfied in her expression of disbelief.

"Of course you were aware! You know how much I love hunting!" Rose fumed, clearly upset by my fable.

"You are correct, niece, but I'm afraid I had other arrangements made. Male bonding you could even say." I replied, trying to find something within my self to show a serious expression. "Is that all? I do not wish for company right now."

"No, that is not all. I thought this would be the perfect time to talk to you about my birthday ball! Do make some time for your dear niece!" Rose whined, picked up her skirts and stormed inside my room, her sparkly little heels clicking against the wood. Taking one more glance down the hall, I reluctantly sighed and retreated back into my chambers.

"I'm not in the mood to entertain tonight, Rose." I reminded her but she brushed it off, clearly wishing for my attention.

"You haven't forgotten my party, have you? It will take place two days from now, right here in this very palace."

"How could I forget that my home is to be swarmed with hundreds of nobles in only a few, short days?" I replied.

"Maybe you can finally find yourself a wife, My Lord." She snickered, her use of the title only used when she pushed things when she shouldn't.