- Chapter VI: Averting a Crisis -

          Dom

     "She what?" I asked, beginning to pace.

     "She almost completely revealed herself infront of hundreds of humans!" Eran boomed, smashing his hand against the coffee table.

     During the day, we werecats relaxed in our underground bunker, which we left for the females to design. For being girls, this place was awesome. Eran and I were in the reck room, which consisted of two red corner couches, four flat screens, a small kitchen stocked with food, and different arcade games.

     "Eran, what do we do if they begin to question her?" I asked. 

     "I don't know." Eran said.

     "But you're the Head! You have to know." I said, flopping down on the couch next to Eran.

     "I've only started two months ago! Even my dad didn't have to deal with crap like this." Eran said. Eran's family were the leaders of our leap. A few months ago, his father was killed by the wolves, leaving Eran to hold the leap together.

     "I'll pick her up from school and bring her here. We can sit her down and talk to her and explain." I said, getting up to go. Riley would probably be out of school soon.

     "Deal, but I'll let you explain." Eran said, grabbing the remote and beginning to flip through the channels.

     "Why me?" I asked.

     "Because you're her mate!" Eran yelled, waving his hands in the air.

          Riley

     I sat waiting for the bus. I wouldn't miss it this time. Sitting there, I tried to ignore the fact that other kids were staring at me and pointing.

     To my surprise, I could here their whispers even though they were fifteen feet away.

     "I heard that she worships the devil." one girl said.

     "Really? When I came out of my English class I heard some senior guys saying that they saw her run into the woods." the other said.

     "Maybe she lives out there!" the first said.

     The other girl, giggling, said, "I bet she's a lizard."

     Just then, they caught me looking at them. Before looking away quickly, their eyes widened in horror.

     I rolled my eyes to myself and began to read again.

     Just as I was beginning to calm down after this awful day, a tiny red Miata rolled up.

     The top began to lower and the tinted windows rolled down to reveal Dom sitting in the driver's seat.

     "Get in, weirdo, we're going home." he said.

     My jaw dropped in astonishment. This man, who had kidnapped me the night before, bit me, and brought me to the wild jungle, was now picking me up from school.

     "What the hell?" I yelled, not being able to hide my smile.

     "You coming or not? I got you a Coke." Dom said, lifting up a Coca Cola.

     I walked up to his Miata and asked, "Where'd you get this?"

     "Belongs to the leap. Now get in!"

     Not bothering with the door, I jumped into the passenger's seat. I had never been so agile.

     "Look," Dom said, gesturing to the back seat as he began to speed away, "I got dinner."

     I turned around to see a huge dead deer in the back seat.

     "That's gross." I said.

     "Whatever. You won't think so tonight. Let's go home." Dom said.

     "Home." I repeated, changing my definition of the word.