Prologue

"The one thing we can never get enough of is love. And the one thing we never give enough of is love."
- Henry Miller

---

The enormous set of wooden doors loomed over Adeline, filling her with an emotion she couldn't identify. Was it dread? Or happiness? She wasn't sure. All she knew was that the result of today's event could never be undone, and she didn't have the luxury to delay it any further.

Adeline wiped her clammy palms against her royal blue skirts, her fingers sweeping over the soft lace. She felt the soft satin of her delicate sleeves brush against her skin, and she was grateful that she chose such a silky fabric for her attire. Her matching veil adorned her finely-styled golden hair, and Adeline struggled to restrain herself from flinching at the tickling sensation that occurred whenever it brushed against her neck.

She bit her lip as she turned her head upward to glance at the enormous cathedral, its spidery design threatening to swallow her whole the moment she stepped inside. Byron soundlessly appeared beside her and held his elbow out, allowing Adeline to link her arm with his. She had to admit, the man looked stunning this evening. His black apparel seemed to compliment his gray eyes, especially in the soft orange lighting of the sunset that lay peacefully behind him. She, on the other hand, looked like a rather disturbed panhandler. Perhaps not literally, but she felt quite out of place. Her mother had suggested that she wear a classic light color on her wedding day, but Adeline had refused. Now that she glanced at her rich dress that appeared almost brown underneath the warm sky, she wished that she had taken her mother's advice.

"Are you alright, my love?" Byron questioned softly, his features twisting with concern. He seemed to have noticed her distressed expression.

"Quite alright, thank you, Byron," Adeline replied with a reassuring smile that didn't reach far past her lips.

"Well, come on then," Byron said enthusiastically as he began guiding her into the gothic cathedral. The colossal doors swung open with a groan, and Adeline allowed her soon-to-be husband to pull her into the enormous building. Adeline's cheeks burned a bright red as hundreds of eyes landed on the pair. She straightened her posture. This feeling of uncertainty and anxiety was new to her, and her stomach threatened to spill her breakfast. She hoped that she would at least make it to the end of the ceremony before embarrassing herself in such a way.

The dark interior appeared almost golden from the luminous candlelight, and its beauty made Adeline gasp. The colors from the stained glass flooded over Adeline and Byron as they finally passed the dozens of people in their audience and neared the front of the cathedral. The colors were breathtaking, she had to admit, but they failed to calm her raging thoughts. As she reached the pedestal at the front of the church, she confidently turned to face the man beside her, her hands thoughtfully folded in front of her.

Adeline observed his cool eyes and blonde hair that was done quite elegantly yet professionally. Her golden locks were curled and draped over her shoulder, a style she hadn't dared to try before.

Adeline glanced at the priest, her thoughts causing her to tune out what he had been saying. He gave an expectant nod in her direction and Adeline cleared her throat a moment later.

"I, Adeline Cahill, take you, Byron Milburn, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad. I promise to love and honor you until my last day." Adeline spoke her vow confidently and clearly, her voice never faltering, despite her growing feelings of skepticism. A moment later, Byron repeated her words, and she knew that she could never reverse what she had done. Her serene expression wavered as the priest motioned towards her throat.

Adeline swallowed and caught her bottom lip between her teeth as she pulled a thin silver chain up over her head. A small lock dangled from the necklace, and Byron slipped his chain off as well, a small key hanging from his. Adeline held her small mechanism out towards her husband as he slipped the key in and turned. The top of the lock clicked open, earning them a loud series of claps from couple's guests as the lock verified the couple's future together. Adeline knew that Byron was meant for her, and she had seen their lock and key go together countless times, but she still felt as though something was missing.

Before she could process her thoughts, Byron held his hand out toward her, his smile beaming. Adeline softly placed her hand in his, forcing herself to return his grin as she allowed him to guide her toward the festivities.