Chapter 2

"Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us lost and confused."
- Paulo Coelho

---

Adeline's eyes fluttered open as she awoke early the next morning. The earth around her was dark--the candles in the couple's chambers had long burned out and the sun had not yet risen over the horizon. It was peaceful, Adeline thought. Her anger from the night before had almost fully subsided. She began to consider that perhaps sword fighting lessons could be good for her, but she still wasn't fond of the idea.

Adeline's head lazily fell to the right and she took in the peaceful sight of her slumbering husband. She had only ever seen him so relaxed when he was deep asleep. It saddened her at times, knowing that she dragged him into a life of stress and fatigue. A life where the smallest mistakes never went unnoticed. A life that he had never dreamed of before the two of them crossed paths. They didn't have much of a choice in the matter, she knew, but she couldn't help but feel responsible for the grueling lifestyle Byron had been forced into. She often found herself overwhelmed with guilt because of it.

Perhaps in a different world, Byron could have a better life. One that he wanted for himself. One where he followed his own path rather than the one that his father and a ridiculous steel key determined for him. One where he found a lover who felt for him the way that Adeline should, but had never been able to bring herself to.

Adeline forced the thought aside and lifted herself out of bed. She tossed the silky comforter to the side to allow herself a way off of the mattress, and the spot where she slept was now damp with sweat. She couldn't allow the fantasies of her mind to bleed into the real life that she needed to endure. The two could never be combined. Her life couldn't be changed, and she supposed that it was time she did with it what she should.

Adeline soundlessly padded towards the dark wardrobe that stood against the wall. Her clothing for the day had already been laid out--an extravagant black gown with gold embellishments carefully sewn through the skirt. She scoffed at the atrocity before her. Not because it wasn't beautiful; it was. But because she found it absurd how her servants felt it was appropriate for her to wear a dress to sword fighting lessons. How impractical, Adeline thought as she grimaced at the pile of clothing.

Adeline muttered under her breath as she struggled to tie the laces of the gown behind her back. At her muffled sounds, Byron's eyelids drifted open, and a hint of a smile crossed his lips. He perched himself up on his elbows and his eyes scanned over Adeline. Suddenly self-conscious, she turned away from Byron, giving him an eyeful of her uncombed hair and untied gown.

"Can I help you, love?" Byron offered and slipped out of bed before Adeline could reply.

"I'm quite alright," Adeline responded coldly in dismissal, but Byron ignored her request. He quietly slipped out of bed and appeared behind her a moment later. He gently brushed her golden hair over her shoulder and entwined his long fingers in the laces. Adeline took a deep inhale to prepare for the abrupt tightening of her gown, but he was much gentler with her than her servants had always been.

Before Adeline could thank and send away her husband, his hands slipped around her waist. She tensed from his sudden contact, but allowed herself, just for a moment, to melt under his soft touch. His lips slowly left a trail of soft kisses from her shoulder to the back of her neck, his warmth sending an unwelcome shiver down her spine. Before she allowed herself to sink into his embrace, she broke away.

"I ought to get to the armory for my lessons this morning," she forcefully excused herself and slipped away from her husband. His brows briefly furrowed in confusion, but the expression left his eyes almost as quickly as it came.