Part 5- Competition

The next day, Joey sat on the edge of his bed in a dark room reading over the note Seto had written for him. It had been over a week since Joey read the note for the first time, "I also wasn't being completely honest with you yesterday; you should know the truth."

"Why did he want to tell me all of dat stuff, anyway? He could have just kept it to himself."

Joey crumbled the letter in a sloppy ball and threw it at the wall, "It doesn't matta. I hate Kaiba more than ever." Joey heard a knock on his door, "Yeah come in, Yug." Yugi sat next to him holding a deck of cards, "Hey, why are you sitting in the dark?" Yugi asked, but Joey did not respond and looked down in anguish. Yugi saw the crumbled piece of paper on the floor by the door, "Is that the note Mokuba gave you?"

"Yeah, it is. Anyway, did you need somethin'?"

"Well, I was thinking we could go to the regional tournament being held today. You haven't forgotten about it, have you?"

Joey suddenly realized how melancholy he looked and immediately sat up straight, forcing an excited reaction, "What? You really think I'd forget about da regional tournament? I'm prepared! I'll use that deck ya helped me make."

"Nice, Joey! Well, It starts in a few hours. Tristan and Bakura will be there, too!"

"Sweet! I'll meet ya downstairs in a minute."

Yugi left the room and cracked the door open, the hallway light shone onto his body as he rested his sorrowful face into the palms of his hands. Since Seto held the tournaments, Joey was curious as to whether or not he would be there. He had been so consumed with the academy, how could he take time out of his schedule to run a regional tournament? Joey dreaded the thought of running into Seto, but yet, no matter how angry he felt, seeing Seto made his heart flutter.

****

Yugi, Joey and Tristan arrived at the tournament and were immediately surrounded by hundreds of eager duelists. Among the crowd, Tristan spotted Bakura with a handful of beautiful girls surrounding him, all trying to date him, "Oh, hey guys!" Bakura saw his friends above the girls' heads and ran to them; 

 Among the crowd, Tristan spotted Bakura with a handful of beautiful girls surrounding him, all trying to date him, "Oh, hey guys!" Bakura saw his friends above the girls' heads and ran to them; 

the girls scoffed and walked away.  The group laughed about who would kick who's butts at Duel Monsters, but after a few minutes, Joey had already lost interest and scanned the area for Seto.

A man standing on a giant podium announced to the crowd that the tournament was about to begin, then on a very large screen behind him was the names of the contestants who would be dueling each other first. "Wha-?" Joey was amazed to see his name by Seto's, but both him and Seto must duel someone and then beat that person in order for the two of them to duel one another. Joey saw that he would be initially dueling a stranger, and so was Seto, for that matter. Seto always dueled the winning contestant at the end--he almost never actually dueled during the tournament, let alone the beginning of it.