Prologue

It was a dark night, and the only light was the stars'. In the middle of a clearing, stood a dark ginger tom cat. He kneaded the ground with his paws.

"Mapleclaw?" called the tom.

A beautiful tortoiseshell she cat appeared from the bushes.

"I've been waiting for you for moons," murmured the ginger cat.

"It is hard to sneak out of the camp at night," replied the she cat. "You know that too, Redheart."

"Well, now you're here," murmured Redheart and pressed his muzzle against Mapleclaw's flank. "And that all that matters."

Suddenly, another tortoiseshell she cat appeared.

"Mapleclaw!" she gasped. "What are you doing here with that StoneClan warrior?"

Mapleclaw gazed at her, anger appearing in her eyes. "This is none of your business, Seedtail."

"Really, sister?" Seedtail met her gaze calmly. "This is not my business that my sister is meeting a StoneClan warrior in secret?"

Redheart rested his tail on Mapleclaw's shoulder. "Let's get out of here," he mewed.

"You're right," mewed Mapleclaw. She turned to Seedtail. "And I'm not coming back."

"What? Mapleclaw-"

"Don't even try to stop me," snapped Mapleclaw.

Redheart turned away and disappeared in bushes. Mapleclaw gave her sister a last look and then vanished after him.

A tabby she cat sat beside a pool, and her pelt gleamed in the light. A gray tom padded to stand beside her.

"She didn't stop them," mewed the tabby, disappointment in her voice.

"She tried," the gray tom picked up one paw, and started washing his ear.

"Trying is not enough!" Hissed the she cat. "She had to stop them!"

"I know, Hawktail," murmured the tom. "But our daughter is not mouse-brained."

"Don't be so sure about that," Hawktail muttered darkly. She sniffed the air. "Thorntooth," she mewed, "Are you spying on us?"

A golden tom padded into the clearing. "Greetings, Hawktail, Slateheart," he mewed.

"What do you want?" Hissed Slateheart, and his gray fur bristled along his spine.

"I have a message for you," mewed Thorntooth. "A message about the destiny of the Clans."