Chapter 2

Riverpaw opened her mouth and smelled the breeze. She could taste a pigeon, really close to her. She softly walked towards it, and then she saw it. The pigeon was searching something in a pile of leaves. She jumped on it, and killed it quickly. She buried it so she will collect it afterwards. It was her assessment, and she wanted to do it the best she could. Before that, she had killed a crow and a mouse. She hoped that she would be good enough to be a warrior. Three moons ago, Whitefoot, who is younger than her, was made a warrior in a battle against SnowClan and TreeClan. In the same battle, Stormheart, a warrior from SnowClan, died. Almost not paying attention to what she was doing, she killed a vole ,and another mouse.

The sun has almost set when she came back to camp. Goldenfoot, her mentor, told her she would be a warrior very soon. She almost couldn't believe she is really going to be a warrior. She took a shrew from the fresh kill pile, and went to the apprentices den to eat it. "Hey, Riverpaw!" Mewed a voice near her. "How was your assessment?"

"Hey Rainpaw! Goldenfoot says I'll make a warrior very soon," Riverpaw told the young she cat.

"Cool!" Rainpaw mewed. "You will be a great warrior, that's for sure!"

"Thanks," purred Riverpaw. "Do you want to see Graytail's kits? They opened their eyes yesterday."

"Okay," said Rainpaw. "But why can't you be a warrior today or tomorrow?"

"Because I didn't make the journey to the Moontree yet." She answered. "I hope I'll make it soon."

They went to the nursery. Outside it, three kittens played in the sun.

"Hello Moonkit, Twilightkit, and Midnightkit," Greeted them Rainpaw.

"Hello!" Mewed Twilightkit. "Don't call me Twilightkit. Call me Twilightstar!"

"You're not the leader!" Mewed Moonkit. "I am the leader. I'm Moonstar, the leader of StoneClan."

"Moonkit, Twilightkit, stop acting like little kittens. If you're going to be apprentices soon, why don't you act like ones?" Said Flamingfur, their mother.

"Hello," Said Graytail. "How are you, Riverpaw?"

"I'm fine, mother," She said. "I'm going to be a warrior!"

"That's great!" Purred Graytail. "Did you come to see your little siblings?"

Riverpaw nodded.

Graytail moved to the side, and flicked her tail to signal them to follow. Inside the nursery, Dovekit tried to catch Graytail's tail, while her brother, Brightkit, tried to catch his own tail.

"Hello Riverpaw," Mewed Brightkit in a tiny voice. "Are you really our sister?"

"Of course," Purred Riverpaw.

"And are you going to be a warrior?" Asked Dovekit.

"Yes," answered Riverpaw.

"When will I be a warrior?" Asked Brightkit. "I want to be a warrior now!"

"Riverpaw," called a new voice from outside. "Goldenfoot wants to see you!"

Riverpaw took a little step and called:" Father?"

"This is me." Silvertail appeared out of nowhere.

"What does Goldenfoot want?" she asked.

"He said that you, Daisypaw, Rainstorm, Foxstar and he will go to the Moontree." Her father said.

"Really? Now?" Riverpaw was so excited. Going to the Moontree! Being a warrior!

"Yes, now." Silvertail said.