Chains

It was really hard for me to bounce back after my parents died so I fell into a deep depression. I lost my job and my car and almost my apartment  until I found work as a bus driver. It was slow work but it was money and money was what I needed.

My first day on the job was normal. Various people got on and off and the flow of people spiked when I stopped at the construction site at 8:00. I assume it’s their ride home. At the last stop everyone got out but one person.

It was a hooded man with holes and stains in his sweatshirt. He was always looking down so I never noticed him. I told him this was the last stop but he didn’t respond. He just stared at the floor. So I told him to point where he wanted to go He raised his arm to the right and I noticed chains tied around him, clanking against the ground when he lowered his wrist. I shuttered but being a bus driver, there’s bound to be some weirdos. I follow his chain link directions back to a house.

The next day I turn on the radio and it announces that a woman hung herself with chains last night. I had a fleeting suspicion but it left me as soon as my work started. By the end of the day I had picked up everyone and dropped everyone off.

Only one person remained, the chain man. His arm led me towards an apartment building and I drove away feeling scared. The next morning I turned on the radio and again, the announcer told me that a man hung himself with a chain.

It happened again and again until I had to do something. I drove my bus to the police station and told them about the chain man and everything I had seen. I was terrified but I had no other choice. They brought me to the back where they showed me the cameras on the bus.

I waited for the man to get on, to show them what I had seen but he was no where to be seen. I watched endless hours of footage but he seemed to be missing. I was distraught. Who was he? I drove home and parked.  I myself sat in front of the tv. I can’t say I watched it because my mind was preoccupied by the chain bound man.

Just as I was about to fall asleep I heard the changing of chain behind me. I immediately and jumped up and saw the man right behind me. But he wasn’t looking down. Plastered on his face was a smile I could only describe as inhuman. His eyes however, were wet with tears.  His arm was stretched out pointing at me. Rusty chains were draped over it and I stood there in shock. I tried to figure out what he was pointing at. I looked at the tv - now completely static - and I looked back at him. It dawned on me that he wasn’t pointing at anything.

He was handing me the chains.

THE END.