Trying to Impress Each Other

Head-butting

Ash Ketchum stood up top a hill in Professor Oak's corral stretching, he had an intense look in his eyes.  "I'll show her...I'll show her...underestimate me will she...?" he grumbled under his breath.

"Ash...are you sure you're not just – er – worked up over nothing?" asked Tracey from where he was sitting, holding a stopwatch in his hands.

"No way!" replied Ash fiercely.  "I will not be insulted by her so easily.  I – just – I – ugh...!" he yelled in frustration, before slapping himself in the face and turned to face Tracey, looking just a tiny bit calmer.  "Listen, it was Misty who started this, okay?  I just...I can't stand how high and mighty she thinks she is, just because she's a Gym Leader.  I mean really – it's like nothing I do is ever good enough."

Tracey sighed.  "And you're sure this isn't an overreaction?"

"Definitely not."

"Okay..."

Ash gritted his teeth, his face scrunched up in confused frustration before blushing.   "Ugh I can't stand the way she teases me!  But oh, when I tease her back, she gets all defensive.  Ridiculous!"

Tracey sighed again, feeling as though the conversation was going in circles.  "Then tell me this," he began, wearily.  "Is this whole competitive thing only happening because you like her...?"  At the sound of those words, Ash froze up, and remained silent for a near minute.

"...Maybe," he muttered after a while.  Tracey just smirked – he got Ash well and good.  It was true after all, Ash had recently come home from Sinnoh, proud at his achievements, everyone was happy to hear how far he had gotten.  but things seemed to be awfully different, somehow with years between physically seeing each other, and only being able to talk via emails or calls, Ash had begun to miss his old friend more and more, to the point where the thought of her caused him to blush.

"I just...I really want her to see how far I've gotten," said Ash after pausing to collect his thoughts.  "I'm not the same kid she fished out of a river so long ago – and don't you say I'm misinterpreting her either!" he snapped, catching Tracey off guard.  "You've should've been there...'Oh' she said, 'you only got that far in the league, huh?  It's like you're still the same old Ash, running around in circles.'  Well I'm not!  I'll show her, just you wait and see!"

OoOoO

"Misty..." said Daisy tiredly.  "Are you sure you didn't go too far?"

The girl in question was pacing around the gym's pool, and had a strange look on her face.  She sighed.  "I don't know...maybe I did, but...I'm not going to let what he said slide!"

"What did he say that was bad?" Daisy asked, amazed she was even going to humor the situation.

"He said that anything he had done is miles ahead of anything I've achieved!" yelled Misty.  "I'm a Gym Leader, damn it!  He has no right to look down on me – acting all high and mighty just because he defeats a few trainers, wins a Frontier, and then goes around visiting more and more regions.  Ugh, he pisses me off!  I hate him sometimes!"

Daisy sighed, and tuned her sister's ranting out.  When she finally cooled down, Daisy spoke up.  "Misty?  Are you absolutely certain you aren't freaking out because you love him or something like that?"

Misty's face instantly shot red.  She was about to retort in anger, but remembered that she was talking to her most matured sister.  "Yeah..." she conceded, hiding her eyes under her bangs.  "I hate it though when he underestimates me.  Sure...he's bigger than me now...but I'm still a Gym Leader!  We have to be in top form, that's expected of us.  No matter what, I'll show him, not like he can outdo me in everything we have planned..."