The Aurora Borealis

in·ef·fa·ble/inˈefəb(ə)l/ adjective
too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words.

The Aurora Borealis is the result of electrons colliding with the upper reaches of Earth's atmosphere. The aurora often appears as curtains of lights, but they can also be arcs or spirals, often following lines of force in Earth's magnetic field. The lights typically are seen in the far north - the nations bordering the Arctic Ocean - Canada and Alaska, Scandinavian countries, Iceland, Greenland, and Russia. They can also be observed on Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus. The best time to see the Aurora Borealis in between September and March. I have never seen it in person. I think, though, and given the chance; I'd give anything to see those lights.

🕘

Most things are dull. Dull in color and dull in sound. All people, in some way, are the same and that is dull as well. Every sensation that used to once hold meaning, is boring now. And so, Alen sat, back pressed against the hard wooden chair that made it's home in his school's office. Sifting of papers and clicking of pens. Phones rang in the distance, the breaths of the other two in the room with him. His hands sat in one another on his lap, as his vision focused in and out like a camera. A pen scribbling, someone adjusting their chair- But most importantly, a clock. Ticking at a steady rhythm, the clock that sat on the wall behind him. A mechanical clock, first invented at the start of the 14th century. The term, "O'clock" was derived from "Of the clock." Currently, it is 9 of the clock. It's early, still. Normally at this time, Alen would be seated somewhere in the middle of his pre-cal class attempting to drown out the noisy morning bustle of the room. The woman in front of him tapped a small stack of papers on a wooden table washed in yellow lighting. Her lipstick was red, like her nails. She glanced up and smiled gently, placing the papers down on the glossed surface. She straightened her back and shut the door that was ajar to her left. Many of the noises were hushed in that action, ringing phones sounding like they were calling from underwater.

"Well, Alen-" The woman began, smiling gently. Her voice was soft but still held a happy pitch. She was the one who was waiting outside of his classroom when he arrived this morning. She looked out of place, despite being short enough to be a student. That's what made him notice her right away. Alen didn't normally notice others unless he expected to see them again. However, this woman was dressed... loudly. She wore yellow, red and black. Her hair was red, her lips red, nails red. The blouse she wore was flouncy, bright yellow contrasting a black skirt. "This shouldn't take too long. Are you familiar with our school's advanced system?" He shook his head, looking briefly to the other person in the room. He was sitting, unlike the woman, leaning slightly in a chair across the table from mine. The man next to her, chubby, sweaty, annoyed; he signed a paper, handing it to the woman as she spoke. Alen adjusted his seat and pulled his collar. It's hot in here, that's why he's sweaty. The light looks yellow and not white. Photos on the walls, awards of all sorts, degrees. Papers pushed in front, pens rolling forward, expectant smiles and most importantly, a clock. Reliable, not missing a beat. Ticking on time and exactly as it should be. He slipped his hand into his pocket, running a thumb over the familiar feel of a watch he kept in there. If he pressed his thumb on it, he would be able to feel it tick. Perfectly, and in synch with the loud one behind him. Reliable, unlike people, unlike him.

"It's a program we do here, it's very small. Though we put it together for kids who are testing above average levels. Kids like you." She smiled again, how, he wasn't sure. Yet, she did it, and it looked natural on her red painted lips. "Basically, instead of the many classes you're taking, we transition you into one class, with a few other students, of course. Then you'll begin working on your prerequisites and such." Her smile held tight, she expected a reply now. Alen swallowed, combatting the dryness in his throat.