The Night Sky Paradox

e·the·re·al/əˈTHirēəl/adjective
extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.

  🕕  

Ethan lay in bed, looking at the ceiling above him as he waited. He waited because he couldn't go back to sleep, and he could not go back to sleep because he woke up exactly four minutes before his alarm. He'd be damned if he got out of bed before that thing went off. That god awful thing. So, instead of sleeping or rolling out of bed, he waited- and watched the ceiling of course. He still felt tired, his body heavy as it dipped into his mattress. He didn't get to bed until late, after all. Following the whole plastic wrap incident, they spent a while at Donnie's, or better known as, Rendezvous point A. After that, he had to drop Benjamin and Collete off at their house. Jason said he'd bring the twins home since they were neighbors. It usually worked like that. The new kid, unfortunately for him, was stuck for the ride. Though he nodded off the entire time, so Ethan made sure to bring him back first. He didn't say much when he left, he was probably too tired, but Ethan figured he wasn't upset or anything. When they were driving away from the school he was laughing, so he figured they didn't scare him off just yet. That was probably for the best because Sam would have Ethan's head if Alen decided to quit after his first day.

Finally, his phone started singing some annoying song that Ethan used to like before he decided to use it as an alarm. He ruined it for himself, and he vowed to never change it. A constant reminder that just because you love something, doesn't mean you will love it at six in the morning. He rolled lethargically on to his side, slapping a hand on his phone before picking it up and silencing it for good. Well, for good until tomorrow. Ethan sighed a short and gentle sigh, pulling himself up from his mattress and immediately leaving the room. He had to start right away, or he'd just keep sleeping. The house was warm in the morning. His mother always got cold, so she'd power up the heater no matter what season it was. He'd grown accustomed to it by now. In fact, he was thankful for it as he walked barefoot down his hallway, the floor blissfully not cold underneath his bare feet. Ethan pulled at the bathroom door and groaned when it was locked. He always tried waking up first so he could get there before Allian, but alas. He should be so lucky.

Turning promptly, he walked downstairs and into the kitchen that was beginning to smell like breakfast. "Morning." He greeted, sitting on a barstool. All of the windows were open, which made Ethan question the whole heater situation.

"Good morning." Ethan's mom was short. Definitely not as short as Benji, but she was still petite. A small little thing, with a plethora of energy. June Carter was always getting into some sort of new hobby. Even now, she sat on the kitchen tiles, scrapbook supplies scattered all around the floor. She smiled at him, her golden hair dropping over her shoulder. She was pale and her eyes were brown, a simple brown, but elegant.

"Alien got the shower first." His dad spoke from his station at the counter. He was more like Ethan. Taller, broad black hair even though his dad's was greying. He had the Carter's green eyes, the family staple. Daniel Carter was taller, more stocky than Ethan and lacked the odd beauty marks. Those, he'd gotten from his mother. Not June, she was his stepmom. He didn't see her like that, of course. She was as much of a mom as Felicity was. He loved having her in the family.

"I know." He said. "I'm waiting."

Daniel walked over as his wife swatted at him for stepping too close to her stack of scrapbook paper. She was a scrapbooker now, and she was ready to dedicate her whole life to it. Then again, last week she was ready to dedicate her entire life to competitive gardening. Ethan's dad smiled at her as he passed, setting a bowl down in front of his son. "Mix, mixing slave."