Chapter 6- Unexpected Friend?

I pull onto my street, and prop my bike on the side of the house. I kind of felt bad about the way I had treated Daniel, but I push my feelings aside. I pull on my backpack and walk into the house. I walk straight to my room because my dad wasn't home, and of course my Stepmom would never say: Hi honey how was school? Or Welcome home!

Nope. I document everything she's ever said to me in my mind, and I'm 95% sure none of that was even close to kind. I set my backpack on my bed, and take out Daedalus's laptop, not even bothering to start on homework. For about 2 hours, I make some more designs for new Olympus and send them to the master builder. Next, I go to my email. I regretfully pull up Daniels email address and type:

Hey. Sorry about the way I acted, I felt pretty messed up. C u mon @ school.

I press send. Done, I don't have to feel the guilt anymore. Daniel was always a forgiver. I debate for a few seconds, and pull up Percy's email because I didn't feel like texting him and sending up a flare to even more monsters. I type:

Hey. How are you surviving?

Almost immediately, I get a reply:

I'm doing ok. No attacks yet. What about you?

I say:

Well I was doing fine until I was almost killed by a dracnaenae today. Apparently she wanted revenge for when I killed her in the titian war. But don't worry, I took care of her ;)

He replies calmly:

I'm glad your ok. If anything happened to you, I don't know what I would do. Stay safe, Wise Girl. Remember, you only have to survive 4 more weeks. How hard could it be?

And with that, he sent a kissy face. I miss him so much. And I felt flattered he was counting the weeks. So I finish:

Ha. Thanks, Seaweed Brain. ;) you don't have to worry about me dying. Bye, talk to you soon.

I shut the laptop. I feel like my heart just ran a marathon. But then, my stepmother walks in interrupting my thoughts ...

"Hi. I made some cookies and thought you might want some." She says.

I look on the plate with the Chocolate Chip cookies that are still hot, I can see the chocolate chips still melting. My stomach growls. I look at the plate then her and say:

"Are you actually trying to be nice to me?" I say with more sass than I meant.

She says them on my desk, and states "Yes. I am. I realized I always wanted a daughter, and there was one living in my house the whole time. I know you need a mom, so if you need anything, you can come to me."

She starts to walk out, then says

"Oh. and you better eat those quick. Your brothers were clawing at my legs to get a hot one."

And with that, I hear her heels click to the kitchen. Whoa, I think. Is my stepmom really trying to be nice to me? I look at the cookies, for a second wondering if she poisoned them, then remembering the sincere look on her face. I was exceptionally good at reading expressions, and decided to take a bite. They were so delicious, I think my mouth would burst. I decide in that moment that she is ok, and I'll give her a chance.