Chapter 22

The Dursleys all sat around the table

The Dursleys all sat around the table. Rose was in the kitchen cleaning the dinner plates while Harry scraped the scraps of food into a pot.

"Where is it you sent them Vernon?" Marge asked, glancing at Rose and Harry. "The boy is in St Brutus's institution for hopeless cases," Vernon answered. "And dear Rose?" Marge asked turning to Rose. 

"Beauxbatons Academy for girls," Rose answered when she saw that her Aunt and Uncle couldn't come up with anything. "Where is that?" Marge asked. 

"It is in France. Away from civilization, so that the girls can't go into the town." Rose said and Marge nodded. "Do they use canes at St. Brutus's, boy?" Marge asked Harry. "Yes, all the time," Harry says in a very convincing voice. "Have you been beaten often?" Marge asked Harry. "Oh, yeah, loads of times," Harry says, Aunt Marge was not pleased with the way he replayed, so Uncle Vernon quickly changes the subject to the escaped prisoner.

Aunt Marge started to make herself at home. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon encouraged Harry and Rose to stay out of the way but Aunt Marge wanted Rose near her all the time and she wanted to keep an eye on Harry so that she could make suggestions for his improvement. She has started comparing Harry to Dudley. She would buy Rose and Dudley expensive gifts while glaring at Harry. Rose snuck in a few things for Harry, that Marge didn't notice.

"You mustn't blame yourself for the way the boy's turned out, Vernon," Marge said at lunch on the third day. Rose was forced to sit next to her, dressed in something the Marge picked out for her.

 Rose was forced to sit next to her, dressed in something the Marge picked out for her

Rose could see Harry trying to concentrate on his food. Yesterday she finally got the chance to read her Hogwarts letter, so she knows that Harry is trying to keep his thought to himself so that Uncle Vernon could sign the permission form for Hogsmeade.

Aunt Marge reached for her wine glass. "It's one of the basic rules of breeding. You see it all the time with dogs. If there's something wrong with the bitch, there will be something wrong with the pup -- "The moment Marge said that the wineglass in her hand exploded, Rose was trying to keep her anger in. She did not like it when the woman started insulting her mother, in a manner of speaking.

"Marge, are you all right?" Aunt Petunia asked when the glass exploded. "Not to worry. I have a firm grip." Marge said. 'Sure let's go with that'  Rose thought to herself as she glanced up towards Harry, and they shared a small smiled, it might have been accidental magic, but it happens when your emotions get out of control.

At last, the final evening of Aunt Marge's stay arrived. Rose and Harry couldn't be happier. Rose helped Aunt Petunia with the dinner and dessert, while Uncle Vernon uncorked several bottles of wine, and a bottle of brandy if Rose read it right.

They got through the first course without mentioning Harry. Rose stood once again next to Harry in the kitchen. "Can I tempt you, Marge?" Uncle Vernon asked showing the bottle of Brandy at Aunt Marge. Rose would think that she has had enough with how red her face is.

"Just a small one, then." Uncle Vernon threw in, "A bit more than that . . . and a bit more . . . that's the ticket." Aunt Marge said. Rose looked towards Dudley who was on his fourth slice of pie, that Rose made.

"Excellent nosh, Petunia," Marge said looking at Petunia. Marge then glanced at Harry and Rose who stood in the kitchen, busy cleaning.

"It all comes down to blood." Marge suddenly spoke up, causing Rose to pause with the dishes. "As I was saying the other day. Bad blood will out. Now, I'm saying nothing against your family, Petunia," She patted Aunt Petunia's bony hand, "but your sister was a bad egg. They turn up in the best families. Then she ran off with a wastrel. And the results are right in front of us." Marge said and Rose could feel Marge's eyes on her. Rose gripped the plate she was washing tighter if her grip were any tighter the plate would snap.

"This Potter, you never told me what he did?" Marge said loudly as she poured herself more brandy. Rose dried her hands and went to stand next to him. In her heels, she was the same height as him.

"He -- didn't work. Unemployed." Aunt Petunia answered. Rose gripped Harry's hand. Her knuckles turning white. "As I expected! A no-account, good for nothing, Lazy scrounger who -- " Marge started but Rose cut her off.

"He was not," Rose said, she felt Harry's hand gripping hers. Both turning angry. Insult them that they can handle, but insulting their parents, that is a no go.

The next events happened quick. Marge started insulting them again, this time Rose included. She suddenly stopped talking. She started swelling. Her face expanded, her eyes bulge, and her mouth stretched too tin for speech.

"Go pack. We are leaving." Harry whispered to Rose, as the Dursleys started to worry about Marge. Rose grabbed her trunk from the cupboard under the stairs. Pulling it up the stairs. She started throwing in the things she would need. The other things she didn't need she hid in a loosed floorboard in her room, under her bed.

Rose got down the stairs just as Harry pointed his wand at Uncle Vernon. Rose and Harry left the Dursley household. They didn't know where they were going but anywhere is better than the Dursleys.

They entered the dark night, only a few street lights shining to make light for them.