[08]

chapter eight; time's up

Ariel had managed to put her petty problems behind her and focus on her studies, attending every tutor lesson with James, no matter how much it hurt. Before she knew it, it was the night before her deadline. She wanted to spend the night walking around the castle and seeing her friends for one last time. She had already seen Lily, Marlene and Dorcas. They didn't understand what was happening but that was going to happen. How could she tell them that she was going to turn back into a mermaid in ten minutes after spending three months trying to get a guy to fall in love with her?

Standing by the Black Lake, Ariel felt a presence behind her. She turned to see Vanessa standing behind her with a smirk on her face. "Time's almost up, princess. And where's your lover boy?" Ariel's eyes welled with tears, causing Vanessa to cackle at her. "Pathetic." She spat. "Crying for a boy that barely even knows you exist."

"Stay away from my daughter." Triton appeared from the water with his trident pointed at the sea witch in disguise. The commotion had attracted the attention of four curious boys that happened to be out for a mischievous walk.

The boys ran down to the Blake Lake just in time to see Vanessa push Ariel into the water. In shock, they ran to the lake, seeing Ariel's red head pop out of the water, a green tail splashing. 

"You have a tail." Sirius pointed out, completely forgetting about the problem at hand. Ariel went to open her mouth and utter a sarcastic reply but her voice was still gone, sitting inside the shell that Vanessa wore around her neck. 

"Get the necklace." Triton told the boys who finally snapped back to reality. James took action and grabbed the shell, tugging it off her neck. He threw it to Triton, who caught it with ease. The shell began to glow a bright yellow and the tingling feeling returned to Ariel's throat as her voice returned to her body. 

Vanessa's form began to change, her skin turned purple and her hair turned white. Her black dress turned into tentacles. James looked as if the love potion had worn off and he saw her for who she truly was. A sea witch. 

"Ursula. I condemn you to a lifetime ban from this lake. You will return to the hell you came from." Triton's voice boomed and she disappeared. Ariel swam away the minute Ursula disappeared. She had to get away from everyone, not able to face them in her mermaid form. 

On her rock, Ariel tucked her tail under herself. The tears fell down her cheeks and she felt pathetic. Ursula was right. Her attempt was useless but in her defence, three months was not enough time to make a person fall in love with you. Triton swam up behind her and watched his daughter with pity in his eyes.

"Do you love him?" Ariel laughed and wiped her tear away.

"What does it matter? Nothing could ever happen, I'm a mermaid, he's a human. You were right. I was an idiot to think it could be any different." 

"I only want the best for you, you know that, right?" Ariel nodded, her red hair moving with her head. She turned away from him, keeping her eyes on the castle, the place she called home. A tingling pain filled her tail. The mermaid threw a funny look back at her father, who held his trident pointed at her.

"Daddy?" She questioned. Then there was a flash of green and she found herself wearing a long green skirt. Under her skirt, a foot popped out. The girl jumped from her rock and hugged her father tightly. "Thank you." She muttered in his ear, kissing his cheek.

" She muttered in his ear, kissing his cheek