Chapter 1: The Night Shift

[8:45 PM - San Francisco Sanitation HQ]

"A rocket?!" You nearly fell over in your chair, your supervisor laughing at your outburst "You're telling me that explosion was from a rocket?!"

"Afraid so (Y/N), but that face you made, if only I had a camera." He joked as you collected yourself "Seriously though, as usual we need to get a team in there to help clear the debris. The mayor wants the whole lab cleaned out, so be ready to work overnight." You whimpered as he dropped a black folder on your desk. "Ah ah ah, don't give me that look. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them."

"It's not that, you promised Cole. You promised me no more overnight jobs. Why do you hate me?" He laughed as you playfully sobbed.

"Relax (Y/N), it won't be that bad. If it makes you feel better you'll be on a 2 person team."

"Actually that does make me feel better...I'm not with Brandon again am I? Remember that last Avengers clean up, he almost got us killed!"

"How can I forget? I'm still trying to work out the medical bills from that fiasco. In order to keep his curiosity at bay I rearranged the teams. He'll be with me  so I can keep an eye on him. As for you, you'll be working with your partner in crime, (F/N)." Although pleased with his choice, you snickered at his choice of words "What, were you hoping to be with them?"

"It's not that, it's funny that you call us 'partners in crime'. We're more like a 'destructive duo' if you will." You leaned back in your chair, trying to look like a cliche movie villain. Even as he rolled his eyes you still had him laughing.

"OK, that was a good one, it's more fitting for you two. In all seriousness, something big happened in that building and I need you both on your toes tonight. This is the biggest building cleanup we've ever done, so you'll be handling the investigation portion of the job."

"Meaning I get to use one of the new cameras tonight?" you asked with a gleeful smile. You squealed in delight as he presented you a black and blue camera bag with a mock fanfare.

"My dear (Y/N), I bestow upon you one of our new DSLR cameras. I beg you though, treat this device like a baby, because you are literally the first person to use it." Without hesitation you unzipped the bag, gazing at the camera as though it were a sacred treasure.

"Oh. My. God. Isn't this...?" Cole chuckled to himself as you carefully cradled the lens in your hands.

"The new Canon EOS Rebel, this camera doesn't come out for another month. Courtesy of Mister Stark himself."

"Stark, you mean the Tony Stark? Iron Man, Tony Stark?" He laughed as he sat at the edge of your desk. "Cole don't mess with me, you're telling me one of the richest men on the planet took time out of his day to buy these cameras for us?"

"I knew that reaction was coming, I guarantee you these came from him. Do you remember that crazy meteor shower we had last month?"

"...You mean the one where I pulled the guy out of a smoking car?"

"Yep, that's it. That guy you saved was a colleague of Mr. Stark, his childhood friend he said. He called us up to say thank you, asked me if he could do anything for us, and boom. We got these new cameras to help document our new finds." You could feel your jaw hit the floor as you looked back at the camera bag. You looked back at Cole, still skeptical about the backstory.

"Are...Are you sure you're not messing with me?" He snickered as he stood.

"(Y/N), you're one of the best investigators I've got. You know I'd never lie to you. For now go over the docs, set up, and head out as soon as you're finished." You shook your head with a grin as you flipped through the papers. Eventually a small collage of photos grabbed your attention, The first batch showed the charred remains of the launch pad. From the burnt metal to scorch marks, the best you could guess was that this was the aftermath of a launch gone wrong.