Chapter 2: Ground Rules/A New Lead

[11:30AM - The next morning]

Hold
Hold on
Hold on to me
'Cause I'm a little unsteady
A little unsteady

You were awoken to a familiar song, as well as your phone buzzing to the edge of your side table. As the chorus repeated, you groaned sickeningly as you rolled over to reach for it. Unfortunately, you instead managed to roll off the bed, hitting the floor with a loud thud as your phone fell with you.

"Owww, who's calling me this early?" you asked in a groggy voice, but gasped as you checked the caller ID. It was Cole, no doubt wondering what had happened to you after your sudden departure from the hospital.

"I wouldn't answer that." You jumped, Venom's voice confirming that you were awake.

"Great, just when I was able to convince myself last night was a dream." You grabbed your phone just before he hoisted you onto your feet. "Hello?"

"Hey, would you care to explain what the hell happened last night? Some of the nurses said you left the hospital, alone." You bit your lip, nervous at his angry tone.

'Shit, he already sounds pissed!'

"I told you not to answer it." Venom commented.

"Will you shut up?"

"Excuse me?"

"Uh, n-not you Cole. Sorry, I'm not having the best morning right now."

"I can tell, you sound awful. Plus it's not exactly morning anymore, it's already half passed 11." You glanced at your phone screen in horror, realizing you were late for your shift.

"Oh my God! I-I'm sorry I'm late, my alarm didn't go off and I just--!"

"Whoa whoa whoa! (Y/N) calm down, that's why I called you. Last night was hectic for all of us, so take a break and stay home today, alright?"

"Oh, are you sure?"

"You fainted on us remember? I don't want to overwork you, now that I think about it wanted to ask, how did you get home?"

"Um, I uh, I just walked?" you responded hesitantly.

"...So you're telling me you walked a mile, at night, alone might I add, to get to your apartment?" He questioned in a pestering tone. You whimpered as you held your head in your free hand.

"Gee, that was a convincing response, I think he bought it." Venom retorted sarcastically, but you stopped yourself from commenting.

"Yes, I-I did." There was a heavy silence on his end, yet you could imagine him shaking his head "Look, I miiiight have freaked out a bit at the hospital last night."

"'A bit', you call knocking over your doctor, a security guard, several nurses and patients 'a bit'?!" You pulled your phone back as he yelled.

"And the strikes keep coming." you mumbled worriedly.

"Oh yeah, did you think I wouldn't find out about your 'little' episode? If you weren't one of my best employees I swear..." he paused, taking a deep breath "I'm sorry for snapping at you, we both had a rough night."

"No kidding."

"For now I'll let it slide, if you can't tell I'm a little stressed out."

"Because of last night's outburst?"

"Well that and I have to BS last night's report. To top it off I'm going to be late for an interview...OK, give me a second Brandon! I have go for now, you have a nice day and get some rest. Oh, and (F/N) is out of the hospital by the way, so expect a visitor."