World Without Words

The conference room was silent. It was odd. Nothing out of the ordinary had occurred, everyone was there and fine. None of them, however, could bring themselves to speak. The air felt heavy, though there was a lack in tensity.

Ah, there was one thing different, yes of course.

Francis was still absent from the meeting.

As was Katyusha Braginskaya.

Ivan had not seen her at all the day prior. He wanted to think nothing of it, yet he couldn't. Perhaps it was natural nature. He had seen Nataliya, yet she spoke of nothing. She remained silent, her usual indifferent expression replaced with a traumatized and horrified look. When Ivan had asked her what was wrong, she pushed him away.

Ivan stared at his sister from across the table. Her expression remained the same as last night. He was worried. What happened to his older sister? What was wrong with his younger sister?

Yao remained close to Ivan, studying his behavior. His eyes found their way to Nataliya.

How strange...

Yao couldn't pinpoint what was wrong. His heart began to increase in pace. He didn't understand why. His eyes quickly went to Katyusha's seat.

Empty...

That couldn't be. He didn't want to believe what his mind was telling him. Of course that wouldn't happen, would it...?

The Asian's eyes widen as he saw a single tear drip from Nataliya's cheek. He was sure Ivan noticed by the way the Russian tightened his grip on his hand.

The room remained silent.

Still...

Motionless...

As if a single sound would sent the walls crashing down upon them. Nobody uttered a word. Nobody dared make a sound. Upon confusion and skepticism, not one nation had the courage to make a movement.

Time had gone by. How long had passed since the meeting began? The nations of the world were startled by the sound of an alarm which signaled the end of conference.

Not one sound came from the nations as they stood and left one by one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was at the gates of Ivan's house where the silence was broken.

"Podsulnukh..."

"Yes, Ivan?"

Ivan looked down at his lover, his eyes filled with sadness. "Forgive me for being so silent. I've just been thinking." He apologizes. His smile was sad, much to Yao's disliking.

"You don't need to apologize, aru." He responds, linking his arm in Ivan's. "Nobody could blame you."

"I suppose so," The Russian sighs, leading Yao into the large house. "Yet I can't help but feel anxious."

"That is understandable, aru." Yao was being truthful. He had been alive for 4000 years, understood basic psychology. "Why don't I make you some tea? It would ease your mind, even just for a moment, aru."

"That would be nice, podsulnukh."

Ivan had led Yao to the kitchen, which he felt guilty for doing. Because of his feminine appearance, it was like leading a woman into the kitchen. Ivan had seen a fair deal of sexism in his country throughout the years, even being guilty of it himself in the past. Of course, he shrugged it off. "May I help you in any way, podsulnukh?"

Yao turns and looks at Ivan with a gentle smile. "No, you don't need to help me, aru. I want you to relax."

The platinum blonde could feel the heat rising to his face. His fiancé telling him to relax as he made him tea. Ivan silently scolding himself for stereotyping Yao.

This is your fiancé, not your maid.

He found that thought quite ironic, seeing as he had dozens of maids and butlers in his house.

The sound of soft humming filled the kitchen. Ivan loved that voice- the voice of an angel. God, what did he do to deserve such a wonderful person in his life? Wang Yao was truly a gift from the heavens. Nobody could change Ivan's mind about that.

The humming continued as the smell of tea grew stronger. Yao pulled out two tea cups from the cupboard and began to pour the warm drink. Ivan observed closely; even the way Yao poured fucking tea was perfect. Ivan knew he probably sounded like a lovestruck fifth grader. Did he really care? No. Did he even really notice? Well...no.

"Ser Braginski!"

Both pairs of eyes snap onto the source of the small voice. Katya stood in the doorway with a little broom, her eyes wide with excitement and joy.

Ivan felt a pang of warmth in his chest. She was actually happy to see him? Ivan looked at Yao, who had a look of amazement and admiration on his face. Ivan could tell his lover's heart had melted upon seeing the child.

The Slavic Nation stood and picked Katya up. "Hello, malen'kiy. How are you?" He asks kindly.

The girl's smile widens. "Good."

"That's good. This is Wang Yao, he is China." Ivan grins, looking at Yao.

Yao smiles. It was the smile he bore whenever he was around children. It was a smile only a mother could have. "Nihao, aru. It's a pleasure to meet you, little one."

Katya looks at Yao for a moment before reaching her hand out of him. Her fingertips graze his cheek. "Solnishko..." She whispers. Her eyes were locked with Yao's.

Ivan was a bit worried by the stare, but that was replaced with pride when Katya leaned towards Yao, holding her arms out. Yao's smile remained the same as he took the young child in his arms.

Ivan watched as Yao sang a Mandarin lullaby to the child. She was content in Yao's arms, nuzzling against him. Yao was so good with children. Ivan couldn't help but smile at the sight. "Katya, where is your mother?" He asks politely.

Katya looks at the other Russian. "I don't know, ser..."

Ivan's smile disappears for a moment. "I see. And Katyusha? Miss Braginskaya?"

He is met with another no.

Yao keeps Katya in his arms, stoking her hair lightly. "I will get you some tea, baobao." He whispers, setting her down. He glances at Ivan with concerned eyes.

Ivan's smile was completely gone.

He felt Katya tugging at his coat. Looking down, she hugs him, only able to hug around his waist. Ivan places his hand on the child's back, holding her slightly closer.

Yao sets two cups of tea on the marble counter. The reflection of the white and gold tea cups was vibrant in the kitchen light.

Ivan helped Katya onto the stool, watching her drink the warm herbal tea. He looked back at his cup with an indifferent expression.

Making his way around the counter, Yao kisses Ivan's cheek quickly. Something wasn't right with his fiancé. Oh no, that's an understatement. Ivan was acting differently. Yao could assume this came from not knowing where Katyusha was. He couldn't blame his Northern neighbor, if it was one of his siblings, he'd react the same. Though he admits there would be much more panicking.

The taller nation rests his head on Yao's, which was placed upon his shoulder. "Ya lyublyu tebya, moya podsulnukh..." He whispers.

"Wo ai ni, aru..."

Ivan plants a quick kiss on Yao's lips. "I'm so glad I have you..." He whispers into his Chinese lover's ear. He smiles as he notices Yao's cheeks burn up. "Maybe we can go out tonight, da? I think it would be good for us to get out and do something together."

Yao smiles softly while directing his gaze on the ground. "That...that would be nice, aru..."