Chapter Two

I tossed and turned in bed. Sleep wouldn't come no matter how hard I tried. My mind kept going back to seeing how freaked out Daniel was. I've never seen him so worked up before. Maybe he really did hear something? It was an old house after all?

The rain picked up, pouring down my window.
Moaning in annoyance I just rolled over.

Maybe it's nothing? It's an old house and old houses make weird noises. I smiled at that.
Yeah that's it!

I tried to contact Daniel but he wouldn't return any of my calls or messages.
Ugh.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, clicked my phone. "4:30"
Yawning, I rose to my feet and started to head for the door slowly.

"Ouch!" I grabbed the wall and lifted up my foot.
I had just stepped on something.

After a few seconds of feeling the hardwood floor, I felt a ring? I lifted it up to see a beautiful diamond, on a silver band.

My lips formed a line. How did that get in here? It wasn't mine? I had rings but this one looked expensive.

Maybe it belonged to grandpa? I know it didn't belong to Sam because she couldn't afford anything like this, or maybe the person who had this house before grandpa owned it? It looked old.

Smiling. I tried it on my finger and it fit perfectly?
Until I find out who owns it, I guess I can keep it for safe keeping?

I continued to walk to the kitchen, the steps creaked as I walked down them while the the railing shook.
Yeah, that needed to get fixed.

I switched on the light, walked over to the cupboards and pulled out a nice glass. Tired, I scuffed my feet to the fridge and slowly filled it up with water. Now that I live alone, I don't have to worry about waking my parents up. I could stay up all night watching movies or listen to music if I wanted to! I felt free.

I lifted the glass to my lips, and gulped the water down. I was so thirsty. I started to refill it when I heard a floorboard creak behind me?

I turned. "Uh.. Hello?"
I walked over to where I heard it and looked down the hall.
It was windy and raining outside, that's probably why. I shrugged it off, and walked back upstairs. Reaching for the doorknob, I smelled something strange. Cologne?

Nah. Just my mind playing tricks on me, after all I'm just tired.
I twisted the knob but it was stuck.

Seriously?
I pushed the door, and pushed. I couldn't even turn the knob anymore, it acted like it was locked. There's no lock on the door!

What the heck! I started to shake, my chest hurt, and my hair rose on the back of my neck. No one else was here except me?

"Hello?" I breathed out, shaking trying not to stutter.
I took a deep breath and swallowed hard before grabbing the knob again. I twisted it and pushed, stumbling inside.

Wasn't it stuck a minute ago?

I turned on the light and my heart dropped to the floor.
Someone was in my house!

My bras were scattered around the floor, everything else was in place. I couldn't breathe, I was so scared. I rushed to my phone and dialed 911.

                                    ***

After fifteen minutes of hiding in my closet with a metal bat. Lights pierced through the darkness into my room. They were here finally.

Shaking I removed myself from the closet, and rushed down the stairs. Almost falling on my face a few times.
I flung open the door to reveal a couple of police officers.

One woman and one older guy. I told them what had happened as they explored the house. Room by room. I stayed on their heels like a frightened little puppy. Once they examined the entire house, they didn't find any evidence of anyone being inside the house.

"Are you sure you locked the door?" The woman asked, looking at me like I'm insane. She was one of those girls that you could tell were mean just by looking at her. Brown hair in a bun, scowling the entire time.

"I'm positive. My window was open though, but there's no way anyone would have been able to get through it. It's to high off of the ground."

"I see." She rolled her eyes and walked out of the door.

The older guy had black but gray hair, and kind brown eyes. Little chunky. He smiled down at me. "Don't worry about her, she's been having a rough week. Would you like us to stay until morning?"

Oh my gosh. Yes!
"Please." I asked, still a little shaky.

"Alright pumpkin, if you need anything I'm Mr. Gates. Grumpy pants over there is Mrs. Haynes."
Grumpy pants. Ha.
I liked him.

He walked back up the stairs for a minute, before coming back down. "Just shut your window for you. Keep everything shut and locked."

What a kind man. He turned on his heels and walked out. I shut the door behind him and listened to it click! Then locked it.

Whoever was in here isn't coming back in!
I grabbed my bat, and slowly walked back up the stairs.

The rest of the night I couldn't sleep at all, my eyes were opened almost the entire time. I tried to sleep but I was just so frightened, even though the police officers were right outside, I still felt fear. I laid there just listening as the wind beat aggressively against the window, rain hitting it.

What if grandpa was still here in a way? But why would he do such a thing? Maybe it wasn't grandpa?

My heart clenched as I suddenly heard movement above me. Walking.
My eyes grew wide as I pulled my blanket closer to me, griping it harder. Trembling.

That's impossible? Everything is locked!