Chapter 2

The big day was tomorrow and Shen Wei was as functional as dumpling dropped into in a bathtub.

Zhao Yunlan was coming tomorrow.

Excitement and terror clawed at his chest. He wanted him to come here, to experience what he alone at helped Shen Wei build.

He couldn't fail Ye Zun, their dreams or Zhao Yunlan. So he had funneled his emotions into creativity, exactly as Zhao had unwittingly suggested, creating nine new dishes this month alone and had forced his kitchen staff to excel to near superhuman abilities.

The result? The dishes that Zhao had inspired him to create over the years had been called everything from "The cutting edge of the culinary world", to "Creations only the best city restaurant can dream up", giving his career and more importantly the restaurant, the boost they needed to survive. He had saved everything. Zhao Yunlan always did.

This month though, he had gone overboard. Apparently, a famous celebrity was coming and that was enough of an excuse, an actress that everyone knew except him. An actress bringing a massive entourage and paying through the nose for the best. But for him, her presence, the fame it gave his restaurant was irrelevant.

Zhao Yunlan was coming tomorrow.

He had envisioned which table, the exact chair and it was on the other side of the wide room, to where the party was gathering. He wanted him to enjoy the atmosphere, the sculptures and the food, not capture the eye of a famous actress. It was also closest to the kitchen. He could hear Ye Zun laughing at him and could just about see his approving, savage grin.

Times like this he missed his twin more than ever. Didn't miss the ribbing or the risk that Ye Zun would sit across from Zhao and announce his brother wanted to meet him and that Shen Wei was his super fan, but the warmth of being able to freak out about meeting Zhao Yunlan, with someone who cared. Ye Zun would go out there. Daring Zhao to disappoint him. Disappoint them both.

Not that he would. Confused? Regularly. Amazed? All the time. His Savior never disappointed. Besides, other than meeting him, giving him the best culinary experience of his life and getting the chance to see him perform at the end of the week, was everything Shen Wei wanted. He had no higher hopes than that.

So here he was. Lunch service was over, the staff were exhausted and Shen Wei needed a break. His kitchen was nearing spotless and his nerves were starting again, now that he had nothing to focus his mind on.

His manager, Chu Shu Zhi suggested with the air of someone trying to stay respectful, that he take a break and conveniently gave him the list of things left to do for tomorrow, to finalize the decisions regarding the menu for the actress. Things he needed time to think about, as he had already forgotten about the actress, all his attention on making the Zhao-inspired dishes shine.

"Don't forget," He reminded Old Chu, "We have two important guests tomorrow night."

Chu consulted the list but before he could ask or agree, Shen Wei continued, "Zhao Yunlan will be seated at table twelve."

Table twelve was the rival best table in the house. The actress had booked the dramatic seat that Ye Zun had designed and Zhao Yunlan was seated at the one Shen Wei had re-done with Zhao in mind. Not that he admitted that part aloud. The first opening in the bookings, Shen Wei had seized like a mad-man, knowing Zhao would say yes, as he had meticulously planned the timing. Free food as the prize for winning the biggest international music competition, was not something Zhao Yunlan and Da Qing, because the invite was for both, would ever turn down. He lived on pot noodle for Heaven's sake.