C4: The Beauty

After finding a blacksmith that was just about ready to close-up shop for the night, Eos somehow ended up jumping through a workshop window to acquire a sword that the blacksmith swore had been stolen from him. In return, he would adjust her armour for her.

Procurring the very nice silver sword in a nearby chest at a fortified Athenian workshop, Eos had stayed and watched the Athenian guards from up on a small balcony, lying down so she could look over and listen to them.

At first, she was sure that none of them had anything interesting to say but, it was just as she decided that it was time to get back when she overheard a conversation just below her,

"They say there's this guy who chopped the head off a raging bull",

"Really",

"Yeah, commander says he's gonna try and make him join the cause",

"Is he a mercenary",

"Yeah, brute of a man too".

There was only one person she knew who called himself a mercenary and took a liking to big displays of power and authority - cutting the head of a bull was the least of his achievements.

Akin.

He was as sweet as a doll really but, put a weapon in his hand and he'd easily chop you in half. Some even swore the weapon was only for decoration.

His pride would get him killed but - at least it hadn't killed him yet.

Jumping back out the same window she'd came in, Eos returned the sword to the blacksmith just as he was closing his front door.

Eos had told him she'd pick up her armour in two days and, if she didn't, to keep it for himself.

Finding a cheap bed was that little bit harder and, eventually, she found a ledge inside the temple of Asklepios. Trusting Laelaps to warn her of any incoming threats, Eos wrapped herself up and lay down, staring at the ceiling.

As insane as it sounded, walking straight in to Fort Phyle wasn't that bad of an idea.

The Athenian Captain, if anything, admired his men. Their deaths weren't about to make talking to him any easier and, the longer she waited for a chance visit beyond the gates, the more she risked getting caught by the wrong people.

Kallinos was reasonable. Sort of.

And he liked a good game.

So, if she did go in and announce herself - in one way or another - if Laelaps and her could be sure that it was only Kallinos that resided inside, with a few Athenian men who her face would mean nothing to, she was sure that he would either talk to her there and then or, come find her.

Or, start some sort of riot and try to kill her.

He'd never been one for a show though. Eos had been convinced that his parents had been Spartans.

*

Up in the Parnes Mountains, Fort Phyle was one of those sorts of forts that you shouldn't really sneak around in - if you have the choice - so, even though she didn't doubt her ability, Eos took Laelaps contentness as a sign that the only familiar face beyond its walls was the one they were searching for and, figured that her plan from the night before was the best way to go.

After waiting and watching for a day, making sure Kallinos wasn't in any hurry to leave and that, there was no sign of any other cultists skulking around, Eos had left the lycaon to sun itself in some long grass the next morning, pulled her hood up and walked over to the main gates. An Athenian hoplite was stood there, staring aimlessly in to space. He didn't even see Eos before she was stood right in front of him.