C42: The Confession

"It still baffles me" Natakas said as he sat down. Kassandra passed over a bowl to him, having mastered the boar recipe he'd taught her back in Makedonia and, having even added a bit of broth to it as well - at Alexios' request.

Eos, on the other hand, had almost gagged at just the sight of it but, after being able to turn it in to a small coughing fit instead - which still meant that a little vomit did come up anyway, she waved her hands at the others to keep talking - having interrupted Natakas' next few words.

Alexios had looked over, glancing from the broth to Eos for a quick moment before he'd looked back to Natakas.

"So many of their men died at the Fort and, for what" he asked them.

Eos bit her tongue for the time being. She didn't know if she could do this tonight.

"It was the Order. They have no love for foot soldiers and bystanders - as long as they get what they want, they do not care who gets caught in the crossfire" Darius said - he hadn't touched his food yet either but, he just wasn't pleased with the fact that Kassandra was trying to churn up the past of the family they'd lost - even if she did have the best of intentions - as Natakas had mentioned to him already.

"Natakas is right" Kassandra said, "they attacked the Fort and didn't even give chase" she said. She sat back and put her hands outs, she'd been thinking about it, "what if it wasn't the Order, what if we walked in to some sort of conflict" Kassandra suggested.

It was a nice thought, a theory that they could have used to their advantage... even if it had been the cult who had done it, they could use the conflict in a way that they could destroy both but, whatever their own plan was to cover up the massacre that had happened, it didn't change what it had been.

"It was the Order Kassandra" Eos said as she placed her bowl down.

"They lack numbers as is" Kassandra said,

Eos sighed, feeling that little more defeated by the entirety of the situation - "because they wanted to prove something".

"What" Darius asked - he knew she'd been hiding something - and, that small word they'd had didn't seem to make him any less volatile.

Eos looked over to him - if she kept talking, she'd have less of a want to vomit but, Eos also knew where this conversation would end up and, she felt like she'd just vomit anyway.

But, if they were ever going to move forward, they needed to know.

Eos looked to Kassandra then, avoiding the judgemental eyes of the old man.

"Amorges said that I would see the chaos with my eyes anew... that it was coming" Kassandra went to argue but, Eos carried on. Alexios sat back, this was what she'd meant. "Even when you don't cause the chaos, it follows in your wake" Eos told her, "in order to put you down".

"Why would he want you on their side so badly for" Darius asked. Amorges wasn't against mass-homicide but, this was different - this girl was hiding much more than she cared to admit.

Everyone's eyes turned to her, everyone but Glaukos, who was staring at the floor, small goose bumps having risen on his arms that he tried to rub away.

Alexios looked over at him and stood up slowly, his eyes now darting between Eos and Darius...

Kassandra had glanced at him. The tension starting to thicken as Eos felt the hair prickle on her arm.

"Amorges is..." Eos sighed and put her hands together, sitting up a little more, staring at the fire.

"Out with it" Darius snapped, he'd stood up now too, making both Eos and Kassandra flinch a little. Natakas, who was sat next to him, only shook his head at his father's inpatients.