four: real life

august 30th
9:49 pm

"more drinks!" alexis shouted.

"i don't think so," nova laughed.

"i'll go get us water," i said, turning to leave.

"i'll come with!" arty followed behind me. "are you having fun?"

"actually, i am!" i smiled. i didn't expect to, parties usually only end badly when james was there.

why did i think it would be different?

"is it because you and james only spoke twice?" she asked me.

"i didn't even realize!" i laughed. i popped open the cooler with my foot, grabbing five waters out of it. arty took a few off of me. i shut the cooler.

"look at this!" a stranger said.

"look at what now?" i asked, looking around for something out of the ordinary.

"look at that ass!" the stranger continued. "those pants make you look fine!"

i searched for arty, but she had walked away as i was closing the cooler. i looked around for anyone familiar. then i spotted james talking to one of his friends, who was drunk out of his mind.

"i'm sorry, i have a boyfriend," i tried to excuse myself.

"and?" he grabbed my arm, the one that wasn't holding the water bottles. "he doesn't have to know!"

instant memories came flooding back. i dropped the water bottles.

james grabbing my arm. james pulling me outside. james yelling, shouting, screaming at me that i was talking to too many guys. james slapping me. james walking away.

"don't touch me!" i attempted to shove him off, but his arm was too strong.

"why? all girls like to be touched," he smirked, pushing hair behind my ear.

"james!" i yelled, but i wasn't loud enough. "james! james, get him off!" i repeated.

"is james your boyfriend?" he cooed. "not for long," he started to get closer to me. the liquor stench was strong in my nose, and i gagged.

"gagging already? save that for later," he smirked.

"get the fuck off!" i yelled at the top of my lungs. he only laughed, leaning in even closer. tears formed in my eyes.

why wasn't anyone helping me? why wasn't anyone noticing me?

my body froze as his face closed in on mine. when he pulled away, the only thing i could do was stand there and let the tears run down my cheeks.

"watch it!" another guy cut in, pushing him away from me. "what did you do?"

"yo, she came onto me," he surrendered, laughing a little.

"i don't think so man, she's my girlfriend!"

he turned to me and put his arm around my waist, keeping me from falling. something about his touch was different than the other stranger. his was caring.