Twelve

Marcus was waiting for me at baggage claim when we landed in New York. Brett struggled to hold Malachi and get their luggage so I offered to hold the sleeping toddler. Marcus gave me a strange look as he retrieved my bags and offered Brett and Malachi a ride home.

Brett politely declined and after we helped them into a taxi, Marcus and I headed to the town car that was waiting for us.

I had barely closed the door when he pounced on me. "You slept with him again, didn't you Lupe?"

I feigned shock at his question. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh, please. You can't bullshit me," Marcus said, fixing his piercing gaze on me.

"Okay, fine," I relented. "But just once!"

Marcus sat back in his seat with a smug look on his face. "But it won't be the last time."

"Ugh! You are literally so annoying!" I groaned before we both burst out laughing.

He reached over and pulled me into a tight hug. "I missed you, Lupe! So much has happened since you left."

"Like what? Fill me in!"

"Well, your father permanently promoted me."

"Oh my gosh! Are you serious?"

Marcus nodded tentatively. "You're not mad, are you?"

"Why would I be mad!? That's amazing! I'm so proud of you."

"Really? I thought you would hate losing your assistant."

"I mean of course I'll never be able to replace you and training someone new will be annoying, but you're my best friend! A win for you is a win for me too."

He beamed at me and grabbed my hand. "I'm so glad to hear you say that, Lupe. I was so worried about how you'd react."

I scoffed. "You act like I'm a spoiled brat or something."

"You are a spoiled brat. Anyway, how was Italy? Tell me everything. Especially what's going on between you and Mr. Jacobson."

"It's nothing," I lied. My flushing cheeks betrayed me.

"Nothing my ass. Are you guys a thing now?"

"Yeah, we are," I answered with a small smile. "Don't tell my father though."

"I wouldn't dare."

We finally pulled up to my apartment building a few minutes later and Marcus helped me carry my things upstairs. I kicked off my heels and sunk onto the couch, closing my eyes with a sigh of relief.

"Want me to order take out?" Marcus offered. "We could watch a movie."

"Take out sounds lovely. And I don't know how long I'll be awake for the movie but we can certainly try."

Marcus flopped onto the couch next to me after he ordered the food. "Before the food gets here, we do have some business to take care of."

I peered over at him in confusion. "Business?"

"Yes, Lupe," he replied, sticking his tongue out at me. "I need to go over your schedule with you. I'll still be helping you out as your assistant until you can hire and train a replacement."

"That's really unnecessary. I'm quite capable of managing on my own for a bit."

"Yeah right! You barely remember what day it is unless you have me to remind you."

"That is not true!" I protested. "But since you've already prepared it, you might as well go over it with me."

He gave me a smug grin and pulled his tablet out of his bag. "Okay so first thing tomorrow, we'll be interviewing candidates for your new assistant. I've pre-interviewed some people and have narrowed it down to three strong candidates.