Chapter Eight

"And then Thrushpelt said something. It was kind of scary, but it sounded like a prophecy or something," Bluefur finished.

She was sitting in the medicine den now, with Mossdapple and Brambleberry, explaining what had happened the night or afternoon before in her dreams.

Brambleberry leaned in. "What did he say?"

Bluefur was worried she wouldn't remember, but when she opened her jaws she found the words slipping out effortlessly. "The plants of evil will sink into the Clans and destroy them all. Only the colour of the deep sea will be able to save the four Clans from destruction," she meowed, talking as if the voice belonged to another different cat. 

Brambleberry turned her head to Mossdapple, who's fluffy fur was puffed out to twice its size. She looked astonished and excited. "I got that last night at the moonpool! The exact same prophecy!"

The main medicine cat shook her head. "No. Not a prophecy, but a warning. Something bad is coming," she murmured. Then the white and black she-cat turned to Bluefur. "And my guess is it has something to do with you. Why else would you get the message?"

Bluefur shuffled her paws anxiously. "Then I found myself in some water, and I think I was drowning. It was really scary."

Mossdapple flicked her tail. "Leave us to think about it, Bluefur," she meowed, with a sympathetic gaze. "Maybe you could go train Whitepaw a bit? We promise we'll discuss it."

Bluefur sighed. "Okay. Bye, then," she mumbled, feeling clumsy and still sad and yet full of rage targeted at Thistleclaw. It wasn't her fault Thrushpelt was dead, it was Thistleclaw's and Tigerclaw's. She would kill them both if she had to. They and ThunderClan were a bunch of fox-hearts. She dug her claws into the grass as she stalked out of camp, signalling with her tail for Whitepaw to follow. "We're going hunting," she hissed.

She didn't care if Whitepaw followed her or not. She had to work out a plan. How would she kill them? Or maybe she wouldn't. Maybe she'd just make their lives hell like they made her's. She was so deep in thought, she didn't notice Whitepaw asking her a question.

"Yes, Whitepaw?" she grunted.

"Are we going hunting or not? Because you seem to be walking to the ThunderClan border."

Bluefur nodded. "Right, of course. Sorry. I thought we could hunt by the river next to sunningrocks?"

Whitepaw nodded. "Good idea. I'll follow you. Do you remember how to swim?" The apprentice asked, his whiskers twitching.

Bluefur didn't say anything, just padded into the river, letting it soak her fur. It felt so relaxing, so she decided to just stay there for a few moments, purring contentedly. Then she dived under and grabbed a fish in her jaws, bringing her head back up and throwing it on the grass. She slowly walked out of the water, the liquid plastering her fur to her body. Whitepaw smiled. "Good catch!" He purred.

"You try over there," Bluefur meowed, less hostile. "I might've scared the fish away from around this area."

Whitepaw nodded, trotting off into the undergrowth and to a different part of the river. A few moments passed, then the warrior heard a screech of surprise, making her fur bristle. If it's Thistleclaw, I swear to StarClan I'll kill him. She ran over to where Whitepaw went, gasping as she saw him flailing in the water. "Whitepaw!" She screeched, jumping in after him. "I'll save you!" 

She paddled as hard as she could, going underwater after her apprentice. She grabbed him by the scruff and began to swim upwards. "We're almost there!" She yowled. "Keep your head up!"

Whitepaw was beginning to fall unconscious. "Snap out of it!" Bluefur yelled desperately. "Please!"

She sighed in relief and exhaustion as she reached the bank. She stared at Whitepaw. He wasn't breathing. Her breath caught in her throat. He couldn't be dead too! 

Then she realised a trick medicine cats used to start up a cat's breathing if they had swallowed too much water. She made sure her paws were on the apprentice's chest and began to push and push and push. Suddenly Whitepaw began to cough up water and splutter. He looked up tiredly at his mentor. "Thanks, Bluefur," he murmured, looking half asleep and dazed.

Bluefur carried Whitepaw on her back and shoulders back to camp. It was extremely slow and pretty painful but she managed to do it. As she lay him down gently in camp, cats gathered around him. A few glared at her, muttering accusing words that hurt Bluefur.

"He's still alive," she hissed at the cats accusing her of murder. She would never kill. 

At least, if it weren't Thistleclaw or Tigerclaw.

"He fell in the river," she explained, her tail lashing. "I saved him and got the water out of his chest. He's going to be fine."

Mossdapple looked up at her approvingly. "Bluefur's right. We just have to get him to the medicine den and he'll be fine."

Some warriors helped Mossdapple with carrying Whitepaw away. Bluefur watched with no expression in her blue eyes. Then she noticed Hailstar had sat down next to her.

"You did a brave thing," the leader meowed. "When Whitepaw is better, he'll have his Warrior ceremony. You know..." he looked at Bluefur, a curious and knowing glint in his eye. Did he know about the prophecy? "ThunderClan is very unlucky to have missed out on a warrior like you. I suspected you'd become deputy instead of Thistleclaw, even. I'm impressed you took such a leap with joining RiverClan and starting over from scratch to become a respected warrior."

Bluefur dipped her head, genuinely honoured. "Thank you very much, Hailstar."

"But," Hailstar grunted, causing Bluefur to cringe. "I am worried about you. Ever since..." He didn't dare finish his sentence. "You've seemed more hostile. I know you're grieving, but with ThunderClan being so greedy with wanting sunningrocks, we need every warrior focused."

"It's all Thistleclaw's fault," Bluestar snarled, staring at him with cold eyes. "He killed Thrushpelt. I want him to pay."

Was that a nervous spark in Hailstar's eye? He stared at her with furrowed eyebrows, then turned and padded away. 

Later on, Bluefur lay in her nest snuggling with Oakheart. She breathed in his sweet scent and closed her eyes. 

No matter how unnerving it may seem, the truth is, Thistleclaw will pay, Bluefur snarled in her head, her fur beginning to bristle. And I will make sure of it.