Chapter Twenty One

"Bluefur, welcome to StarClan."

Bluefur woke up in the great fields of StarClan, in front of Snowfur, and eight other cats next to her. She stepped back into the line of cats with a smile. Bluefur felt like her heart was going to burst from happiness. "You're all here," she choked out.

The first cat stepped forwards, and Bluefur purred as she saw it was Pinestar. "You made it to StarClan!" 

Pinestar nodded. "With this life, I give you compassion," he meowed, "to care for your clanmates."

The former leader touched his nose to Bluefur's forehead, making her sink her claws into the ground and spaz out in pain. She wanted to collapse and lie down, but couldn't. Next was the light brown pelt of Thrushpelt. He stared at her, pride in his eyes.

"With this life," the warrior meowed, "I give you endurance, to make it through any hardships your Clan has to face."

Once again Bluefur was hit with sudden horrible pain that stabbed through her body, making her jaws open in a soundless yowl, her eyes wide in panic. After she had recovered, she glimpsed Thrushpelt vanishing and next to him Crookedjaw appearing. "With this life, I give you hope. Even when your Clan is despairing, there is always hope."

At this life, Bluefur still felt in extreme pain but also felt a growing hope and excitement in her chest, making her ready for the next lives. She dipped her head to the former deputy. "I hope I can follow in your pawsteps," she rasped, smiling determinedly at the tom with the crooked jaw.

Crookedjaw dipped his head. "I'm sure you will," he murmured as he disappeared.

Next was Sweetpaw, an apprentice of ThunderClan who died before Bluefur became a warrior. Bluefur smiled warmly. "Sweetpaw, you're here," she purred.

"With this life, I give you humour. If your Clanmates are despondent, then you can lighten the mood!"

Bluefur made it through the pain of the life, feeling bubbly and lighthearted. She grinned. "Thank you, Sweetpaw."

Next was Brambleberry, walking up with none of the horrible scars and rotting flesh she had in death. 

"I give you the life of courage. No matter what happens, keep your head high and be optimistic. Stay strong when you're about to go in a battle."

After the pain, Bluefur felt like leaping into a battle and fighting. She stumbled to her paws and stared at the next cat to come forward was Rosetail, who had died in the flood. Bluefur leapt forward and nuzzled her friend. "I've missed you!"

"I give you a life of patience. If you wait then everything will come to you soon!" The ginger she-cat purred back. 

After Rosetail stepped back, Hailstar stepped forward, making Bluefur purr in happiness. "Hailstar, I'm so happy you're here!" She meowed.

Hailstar dipped his head. "You've been such a great deputy, and I trust you'll be a great leader too," the leader purred.

Bluefur grinned. "Thank you so much."

Hailstar nodded solemnly. "I give you a life for trust. Trust in your warriors and they will trust in you in return," the leader meowed.

Bluefur closed her eyes. Even if she was ready for the pain, it still stabbed into her and made her stumble. When she looked up, the tom was gone and in his place was Moonflower. Bluefur's eyes glistened with grief. "Moonflower," she whispered.

Moonflower's gaze was guarded, and she looked uncomfortable, but she gave Bluefur her eighth life anyways.

"I give you a life for pride," she meowed. "Be proud of where you live and your Clanmates. It will help you in the long run."

Bluefur felt less pain at Moonflower's life as if it wasn't meant too much, but she still felt the life flooding through her. She purred at her mother, but she was already gone. She frowned. 

Then Snowfur padded back to her, eyes shining. "I'm sorry about Moonflower. She's still hurt you left ThunderClan," her sister meowed softly with a smile.

Bluefur hissed. "Well she should accept it," she growled. Then her voice softened. "I've missed you so much."

Snowfur purred. "I've missed you too, Bluefur. You've grown so much and I'm so, so happy you're going to be the leader of RiverClan! You can destroy Thistleclaw, and all of StarClan- well, most of StarClan- are rooting you on, and we believe in you! With this life, I give you love. Whether it be romantic or platonic, love is the strongest weapon. And Thistleclaw has none. That's why I believe in you to destroy him."

Bluefur purred. "I love you, Snowfur," she whispered as her sister leaned forward. She felt a rush of affection and pain, strength to look after her whole Clan with one paw, love and strength to destroy Thistleclaw and make sure he never took over the four Clans of the forest.

She stared at Snowfur, all the love she had ever felt for her sister in her eyes. Snowfur stared back with Bluefur's love reflected in her gaze. Then she dipped her head. "Good luck, Bluefur," she murmured. When she looked up, her eyes were excited and happy.

"Or should I say Bluestar?"

Bluestar raised her chin and listened to the chants of StarClan. Their cheers echoing in the fields, full of happiness and pride.

"Bluestar! Bluestar!"

From now on, she wouldn't be Bluefur anymore but Bluestar, leader of RiverClan and the cat who would stop Thistleclaw. 

Then she paused. Moonflower sat on her own. The new leader walked over to her once the other cats faded away. She sat next to her mother. "I know you are ashamed of me," she meowed calmly. "But this is what I want. I'll make you proud."

Moonflower looked up in surprise. "You've already made me proud. You're my daughter and leader of a Clan. It's just... why not ThunderClan? This could've turned out so much better in ThunderClan if you had just not been with Oakheart."

Bluestar sighed. "Oakheart is the best thing that's ever happened with me."

She gave her mother a quick nuzzle on the cheek and then turned to the light swallowing everything whole. She closed her eyes, letting it take her.

She woke up next to the moonstone, turning to Mossdapple. "StarClan gave me my nine lives," she meowed, relieved.

Mossdapple purred. "Did you really think they wouldn't?"

The two padded out of the tunnel and to Bluestar's new life as a leader.