Chapter Nine

Every year, we celebrate resolution day to commemorate the historic occasion are country's leaders decided to rid themselves of foreign domination.

The day's significant features are the fireworks. Couples and families gathered in the local park, spread out blankets, and have an evening picnic under the illuminated sky.

The year I turned nine, Shady Oaks held a special celebration in it's grounds, to mark the fortieth anniversary of the resolution. Carren had just started there that year.

That evening, I had my first view of Shady Oaks. My nine year old mind was bewildered at the sight of the huge building, and, at that time, I wished to go there one day.

Holding Mom's hand, we followed Carren to the event area. We chose a spot where we could get a good view of the fireworks, and set down our things.

There were many things that delighted me: resolution themed props, such as hats and glasses; face paint, to get you right into the mood; as well as delicious mini cupcakes and streamers decorated with our country's flags.

"Hey Lucy," called Carren, as we sat down. "Wanna see something cool?"

She was looking down through a water bottle's top with one eye. I scooted over.

"What?" I asked.

"Look down here, I think there's something really cool underneath it."

I peered down the bottle mouth, "I don't see-"

Carren squeezed the sides of the bottle. Ice cold water, that was filled to the brim, sprang up and drenched my face.

Of course, while I gasped and sputtered, Carren was laughing on her back. Mom had seen this and she came running towards me.

"Carren, why would you do that?" She exclaimed, wiping my face.

"It was just a joke, Mom. It's not like she would have died ot anything." Carren said, rolling her eyes.

"I don't care if it was fatal or not! I don't want to see you doing anything like that do your sister again."

"Fine, I won't," my sister says, reluctantly. "Let you see.." she added when Mom had turned away.

As darkness fell, the main event kicked into full swing. Fireworks zoomed into the air, exploded with blasts in the sky, filling it with an array of beautiful colors, before fading into the night. My family and I sat below, gazing at the display and enjoying barbeque Dad had made.

Suddenly Dad's phone rang. He picked it up, "Yes Sir," he spoke. "I'm on to it, sir, I'm on to it.."

He stood up. "I've got some important work to cover, Emma," he said to Mom. "The files are back home, and its an emergency."

Mom nodded, understanding. "Go home," she said. "We'll take a taxi and come back."

Almost an hour later, Mom, Carren and I stood at the bus stop, the cold night air licking our faces. As it turned out, there was no taxi available that night, for most drivers had called it a night.

Mom rummaged in her purse to find her phone so that we could call Dad to pick us up, only to realize she's left it back home.

Sighing, she turned to us. "It's only a few miles. We can walk," she said. "Come on girls, we ought to hurry."

The streets were sparsely populated with late party gooers and homeless men who had spent the night getting drunk.

As we walked across the road, one of them called out to Mom. "Hey lady!" He said. "What are you doing out at this hour? You look lost."

"We're not lost, thank you very much," Mom snapped at him.

"Well maybe I can accompany you back home, what do you say?"

"Leave me alone, will you? Can't you see I'm married?"

The man rolled his eyes like that didn't matter.

"Carren, Lucy, come we're leaving!" Mom grabbed us by the hands, and quickly left.

After a while, it became obvious that in her panic, Mom had taken a wrong turn and we had ended up at a completely different neighbourhood.

Mom was panicking while trying her best not to show it, when a old man and a young boy about my age turned into the street.

The old man noticed Mom's worry and stopped next to her. "Good evening, daughter," he said, gently. "You seem worried. Is everything alright?"

"I'm afraid not," Mom admitted. "We seem to have taken a wrong turn.."

"Could I ask where you happen to live?" He asked. Mom told him our address.

"Well, what a coincidence. My grandson and I happen to be heading there too. Would you like to accompany us?"

"Yes please," Mom breathed in relief.

A few minutes later, we arrived at the front of our street. As Mom turned to thank the man, she asked: "May I ķnow your grandson's name?"

The old man smiled proudly. "His name is Codey," he replied. "My only grandson."

"Then if I am ever blessed with another son," Mom smiled. "I shall name him the same so that he can also be as helpful as starngers as you were to me today."

Dad was still pretty engrosed in his work when we arrived home. He didn't look up when we entered.

"That took longer than I thought," he said. "Everything went okay?"

Mom sighed, "Yes, just took a while to get a taxi, that's all. Anyone has any place for dessert?"

That night as I lay in bed, the dying sounds of the resolution day still audible, Mom's words echoed in my head.

"If I am blessed with another son.."