Chapter Eleven

"Class, my I have your attention?"

Apparently, no one wanted to give Mrs. Cole her attention, because not a single student stopped talking.

Mrs. Cole banged the whiteboard duster against her desk. The talking died down, replaced by an irritable hush.

"Thank you," she said coldly.

It was common knowledge that Mrs. Cole never wanted to be the head teacher of our class, but it was becoming more apparent as the school year progressed.

She scanned our faces with a disappointed frown on her lips. "Now that I have your undivided attention," she said. "I have to announce that our annual Sports Day event will be held tomorrow."

Groans escaped from several students, including me.

Why did they have to hold a stupid Sports Day, I thought. Can't they have a.. book reading day or a.. sleeping in day? I can easily top those.

The sound of the last bell cut through the air. As everyone wildly filled out of the classroom, Mrs. Cole yelled after us, "Remember, it is mandatory for everyone to participate! No lame excuses, do you understand?"

I looked around the crowded hallway for Emily, when I remembered she had gone home early after the second last lesson. Sighing dejectedly, I made my way outside the building where the yelloe school buses stood waiting.

Carren sat at her usual spot with Marina. I was about to go sit behind them, when Marina waved me over.

Carren rolled her eyes at me, obviously relaying the message, What are you doing here?

I made a face at her and turned to Marina. "Hey!" I greeted her cheerfully.

"Hi, Lucy," she smiled. "Where's Emily? Is she still inside?"

"No, she had to leave early."

"Oh. Well, come on, sit with us! It's been a while since we talked."

It turned out, I had a lot to catch up on.

"Dad wants me to transfer to Ivy High this year," Marina informed me. "I've told him it's a bad idea to leave in the middle of the year, but he's dead set on it. He says it will help me get used to the new atmosphere before I start high school."

"That's hard," I replied. "Can you try to change his mind?"

"I'm certainly trying. I'm even thinking of using Carren's convincing ability." She laughed. "The entry test is still in a few months, though, so I have some time."

She winked at me, "Well, I can always flunk that, too."

● ● ●

That evening, Carren delivered the news of the Sports Day to Mom with such enthusiasm, I thought she'd explode from excitement.

Of course, Carren loved sports. Running a few miles in front of parents would be no big deal for her. Meanwhile, I'd be trying not to fall headfirst with my sack, or preventing a pile up by tripping over people in the three-legged race.

"That's wonderful, dear," Mom said, after Carren had finished her passionate speech. "But I wish I could come. I have to run some important errands tomorrow morning."

"That's fine!" I cried over Carren's incoming protests. "You shouldn't miss your work because of us."

And I certainly don't need you to see me embarrassing myself in front of the entire school.