Three

Coral sat on the mossy rock and listened to the officer. He was telling her and a few other people what they would need to do in the audition.

"You will be tested for your ability to ZINC."

One of Coral's peers raised a fin. "What's a ZINC?"

"A ZINC," the officer started, "is a form of magic."

Coral gasped. Magic had been banned from the sea for over 20 centuries. Well, only the Magic Keepers could use it. The Magic Keepers were half-fish, half-shore creature. They were called merpeople, and they kept the kingdom safe from predators and shore creatures. Coral shuddered at the thought of not having the merpeople to guard them.

"ZINC magic is the magic that allows one creature to morph into another creature. For example, the only way to visit the Shore colonies is to ZINC into a shore creature. Understand?"

Coral nodded subtly, although the officer was leaving out a very important piece. "Um, sir?" She asked.

"Yes?"

"How do you, um, ZINC?"

The officer flushed a deep red color. "Oh. You, uh, well let's just say it's different than normal magic."

Coral felt a chill run down her spine. "I'll announce your name when it's your turn to audition," The officer said.

"Your first, Coral."

~Hope you are enjoying the story! Just keep reading!~
Gwyndolyn ✍️