Chapter One

It's all he's known, these horrid names he's been called

'Beast'

Floating around, constantly following him

'Monster'

Mocking him

'Disgrace'

How can anyone love the face of a monster

'Angel?'

No one in their right mind would take up all of his burdens

'Mommy, does he have a Soulmate?'

why would he

'No, honey, he's a monster'

How could he

'Angel?'

'Monsters can't have soulmates because they don't have souls.'

'Oh,'

'Move along now honey.'

How could he love, when all he's been shown is hate?

"Angel? Gosh, the onetime Madame Giry lets me leave on time and you're not here. I guess that's what I get for being late every day, you stop showing up on time too."

"No, dear Christine, I'm here" I said, snapping out of my day dream. Her face lit up as her small figure approached the mirror. I remember when I first heard her voice, just two years ago, but it still feels like yesterday. A little voice, crying in the distance, whimpering out a tune, and yet it was still one of the most beautiful voices. Albeit, it needed some work, it was still magnificent. So when I asked about her to Madame Giry and we started lessons, I knew I would create one of my most wonderful creations out of her, and one day she can take the stage and sing through me.

"You were on time today, Christine, so straight to lessons, start your warm-ups, then we will start something new. We will be working on runs today, so I thought we would work on 'Come and Trip it' by Handel."

"That's in English, Angel, you know my French isn't good, so why English?" She whined

"You'll never get better if you don't try, now your scales" I gave her her starting note, then she soared through the warm-ups with perfection and practice of two years under her.

After we finished, Christine sat on the ground, her eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she took in little breaths and opened her mouth, but even after a few moments, she didn't say anything.

"Christine, you look as though something is bothering you."

"Angel, do you have a soulmate?' she asked innocently, "Like another Angel, that you spend all of eternity with?" I was dumbfounded by this nnine-year-old girl, I've never been asked if I have a soulmate, I've only been told I don't, though those were people who saw my face.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, one of the older girls turned eighteen today and she was talking about it today. She said a part of her that she didn't even know was missing was filled. She also said it was a little painful, which I found weird, why would getting your soulmate be painful? I don't know, I guess I wanted to talk to somebody I know well about it and they wouldn't make fun of me.''

Relief flooded through me as the grandfather clock chimed, telling us our time was up.

"Until next time, Christine," I said, and even though I know she can't see me, she looked in to my eyes, smiled, and ran out the door towards dinner. I was scared that she could see me, scared that she could see me this whole time, but then why would she have stayed and called me angel if she knew I was a man.