Chapter 17: A Bowman on a Barge

The stream was fast and wild and the dwarves struggled to stay in the barrels as they were send down a small waterfall. Bilbo still had not found a barrel to call his own and was clinging to the side of one of the others. Then the dreaded sound of an Elvish horn was heard. The gates leading to their freedom was in sight and Thorin almost smiled. Then as the alarm sounded guards took their places above the gates and one guard ran up pulling down a lever which closed the gates. Smaug watched the scene from a window. A few moments earlier she had made acquaintances with the elf prince: As her arrival was announced, the chattering and music fell to almost silence. As she made her entrance all eyes wary as well as curios was on her. She did not relish in this attention and thought about what she would do to the little fool at door who had by announcing her had also drawn all attention her way. Her thoughts were interrupted as she was approached by the king. He welcomed her and offered her to join him as he would introduce her to his son. Finally she would see would be king of the Woodland Realm and decide whether his reign would be long or short. Was this someone who could be a threat or one who would mind his own business? As they stopped, she was met with the same silver haired elf who had led the patrol in forest earlier this day. Thranduil had been true to his word as he had not revealed her identity. He would not dare anything else. The elf prince bowed his head and introduced himself. She nodded her own head, "I delighted to finally meet you young Legolas" she said. The prince looked confused, "You have heard about me ? From whom?" "I met your father before you born we are... old acquaintances you could say" Legolas looked to his father "He... has never mentioned you my lady" She smirked and looked at Thranduil, "I suppose the time of our meeting does not bring forth happy memories to your father?" Thranduil looked uncomfortable and was about to speak when the alarm sounded.

As the barrels floated down the river Smaug noticed the black figures engaging the gatebridge without the elves' notice they started firing arrows, killing the elven guards. As more guards and orcs arrived the scene she saw Kili foolish as he was climb the stairs toward the lever which could open the gates and set them free. He was not watching his surroundings and was shot with an arrow. She could see even from the long distance that it hurt. Attempting to pull the lever he fell to the ground. "If you wish to talk I would prefer if you stepped into the room" she said without turning her head. Anawyn entered and stood by her side. Smaug did not glance at her. "I can see the trials our friends have to endure but I fell my journey ends here. I have found many friends in the short time I have spend inside these walls" She looked at the redhead beside her anticipating a reaction. Smaug did not lift an eyebrow, "Then stay you should not ask permission. Live here if you like. I am sure you and the elf prince will be happy" Smaug turned around and secretly rolled her eyes at the blushing she-elf. Pathetic. She had seen the two walk through the gardens and the grant halls talking. This was probably how some races found what they called love. She gathered her belongings and headed for the exit. Those helpless dwarves were probably halfway to Long Lake now. She had already wasted too much time and did not even say goodbye.

On his way back to the castle Legolas noticed a lone figure travelling down the stream. This woman he had met at the banquet. There was something about her. He just could not decipher what it was. His curiosity had grown even further after his father kept evading his questions. Even though she had not been seen in the Realm in all his years everyone seemed to feel cautious about her. He knew one thing for certain: he wanted to know more. Not long after the escape of the dwarves he followed Tauriel into the forest. His loyal friend. He could not bear if anything happened to her even if her heart belonged to someone else.

Further down the river the current had lost power and the dwarves were drifting on the now broadened river. Still in the barrels they made for the shore. Luckily, they had escaped the orcs but were now facing a new problem. Kili sunk to his knees, clutching the wound on his leg. With evident pain he stuck his finger into the wound searching for the arrow head. There was nothing but he was bleeding. Thorin was already on his feet and ordered them to get up. "Kili is wounded. His leg needs binding!" Fili argued. He worried for his brother and knew that in order to heal they had to stop the bleeding and protect it from infection. What also worried him was the fact that even though Kili had suffered greater wounds, he showed more pain than Fili could remember. Thorin did not share his worries however. "There's an orcpack on our tail. We keep moving" Thorin said. Balin asked to where. "Well the Mountain off course" Bilbo said. He felt optimistic. He had afterall seen the famous peak from the treetops back in the forest. He felt sure they were not far from their goal. Balin hwever stated a new problem, "A lake lies between us and that mountain" This med even Thorin pause and he ordered them to Kili's leg fast. He felt anxious. The orcs could not be far behind and Balin had spoken the truth. This lake was large and was hard to cross alone and they were more than one who needed to get to the other side. It would be impossible to swim over it. As they discussed how to solve the problem they did not notice the shadow creeping up on them. Oin was pouring water from his boots when as the first noticed the shadow. A tall figure pointing at him with a bow and arrow. Dwalin was the first to react he jumped in front of the figure, holding a branch but before he could make a move an arrow embedded itself in the wood. Fast as few the figure drew a new arrow and the stone Kili had in his hand. Kili stared at his mpty hand in shock. "Do it again and you're dead" the figure said with a new arrow on his string. It was then Balin noticed something they had not seen up until now. Just behind the rocks lay a barge.

Outrunning the orcs had not been a problem. She had even made them change direction by leaving fake tracks. She was standing on the top of a cliff overlooking the shore the company had recently reached. She kneeled down not letting her presence be known. She watched the scene below unfold. She saw the dwarves boarding a barge belonging to a human man. She paused when she saw the man's face. She narrowed her eyes. This man. She had seen him before. Somewhere in the past but she could not remember when. She was however certain that the circumstances was not pleasant. Shortly after the barge had left shore, the orcs arrived.The foul creatures sniffed and crawled the cliffs. They sent out a hunting party. She got an idea. This could be a fine way to get something to eat. She just had to let the filth do the killing for her and it would be two for effort of one. As evening fell, she feasted on a stag. She had hid the orc corpse so the rest of the orcpack would not find it. In the morning, the orcs had moved on. She started her descend. She silently crawled down the cliff and as she reached the bottom, she scouted the lake. It would seem the dwarves where actually heading to Lake Town. That pathetic little wooden village in the middle of the lake had been a thorn in her side for a long time now. Sensing someone approaching she laid her and on her sword and hit behind a large rock. She sniffed the air. Elves. Had the king sent party to track the dwarves? He would not dare. He knew she would snap their throats if they got in her way. She peeked around the corner and was surprised to see the elf prince and a red-haired she-elf. Thranduil did not want anything to do with the outside world and would certainly not let his son chase down a group of dwarves. She stepped out from her hiding spot and was greeted with drawn arrows. Calm as ever she casually walked up to stand in front the prince's arrow. "So, I believe we chasing the goal Legolas Greenleaf" The she-elf positioned her arrow between Smaug's eyes, "You shall address the prince as 'your Highness'" Smaug pushed the arrow aside in a lazy movement, "I do not address anyone by their title. Such things mean nothing to me". Legolas cut in "You are the woman my father introduced at the feast! Who are you?" She smiled at him, "I have many names but for now you can call me Fray. Now come I believe we are to hasten". She did let the elves respond but headed towards the bridge, which connected the town to the mainland. She smiled to herself it would not be long now.