The First Dance

• Dedicated to Zo

Annika walked through the gym doors, mask in place. Her dark blue dress swept the gym floor as she walked past students. Had she not been wearing her silver mask, they would immediately recognize her—and avoid her—she thought.

She walked passed classmates and faculty until she reached the refreshments table. She stared into the crimson liquid they called 'Punch', silently pondering if it had been spiked. That is until someone bumped into her.

She felt her temper flare; her blood began to boil in her veins, her ears rang, and her body started to shake.

Until she heard an apology spill out of the offenders mouth.

"I am so sorry, did the punch spill on your dress? I didn't mean to, I'm not the most graceful and these heels are not helping matters." Annika trained her brown eyes on the petite girl who was wearing a short red gown, and large black heals.

Annika waited as the girl watched her, she was waiting for the girl to get scared. Her reputation brought her a lot of gratitude, but also it gave her unwarranted fear from all the students.

This girl, however, did not appear startled by Annika, but rather embarrassed at her own clumsiness.

"No," Annika started, confused. "Nothing spilled. Uhm, the dress is such a dark color, I doubt the punch would stain it."

The girl sighed in relief before a wide grin on her red painted lips replaced her previous frown. "Well good. Hey, would you like to dance? I promise not to step on your feet. I'm Trish, by the way."

Annika only briefly pondered declining Trish's invitation, until she realized Trish would likely be the only person willing to dance with her. So she nodded silently, took Trish's hand, and the two walked to the dancefloor.

"So who are you?" Annika focused her eyes on the shorter girl; she had to tilt her head slightly in order to see Trish's blue eyes.

"Annika Clark." She waited with baited breath, expecting Trish to cower away. Instead Trish held her wide grin.

"Oh, so you're the one everyone is afraid of. Hm, you don't seem as mean as everyone was making you out to be."

"I'm not..." Annika trailed off. She knew explaining to Trish that she isn't mean would do her no good, no one listened to her when she tried to explain her side of things.

"Oh no! I wasn't saying you're mean. You actually seem quite nice..." This time Trish trailed off. Annika couldn't quite understand what the girl had been about to say. It didn't matter to Annika anymore though because in an instant Trish had her red painted lips on Annikas' lips.

The kiss lasted only a second, but that was the best second in Annikas' eighteen years lifespan.

The girls didn't speak another word, but instead continued to dance silently.

No more words were needed, for in this moment, Annika was finally happy.