Chapter 8- The Assassin Makes her Move

R2-D2 had heard the entire situation unfold clearly from the safety of the X-Wing. Unlike organics, the droid could hear clearly despite the raging storm around both its position and the source of the comms device, the organic Rey. Rey, unlike so many organics R2 had encountered, spoke to the droid as though it were another lifeform. Like most organics, however, Rey suffered similar faults, including poor forward planning, poor analysis of a situation and stubbornness in a decision despite excellent calculations to counter otherwise. She had ignored R2's dissection of the circumstances and the calculated predictions and headed off towards the only living creatures R2's sensors could pick up on. R2's audio sensors had listened to Rey's entire conversation, with both herself as she walked further away in the rain and then with Kylo Ren. As new information had become available, R2 had calculated the numerous potential outcomes. Rey's choice to leave with Kylo Ren was not one R2 had predicted. Organics, R2 recalled, were notoriously unpredictable and erratic; their behaviour was rarely a simple calculation of odds. When the comms had ended, R2 begrudgingly did as instructed. Refusing a direct order was impossible. Merely protesting it was, which R2 had done before Rey had left. So R2 fired up the X-Wing, leaving Fondor and headed back to Ealor.

-X-

Chromia had followed The Supreme Leader to Fondor as General Hux had requested. She had watched the whole scene unfold from her Xi Class light Shuttle while standing in the doorway of the lowered boarding ramp. So that the shuttle could remain hidden, all power was off. The torrential downpour was blowing into her as she stood partially concealed in the shuttle's doorway using the electronbinoculars. What had unfolded had amused her.

She had seen the girl land her X-Wing alone and head towards Kylo Ren and his Knights alone. As the girl had vacated the trench, Chromia had seen Kylo Ren freeze his Knights. After some interchange, he had turned to defend her. She had watched the exchange between Kylo and his Knights, disappointed not to see more of a fight. Watching Kylo and his Knights kill all those Resistance fighters hadn't been as exhilarating as it could have been. Not one of the Resistance fighters had the ability to outmanoeuvre such skilled adversaries. It had been a quick and easy killing of all those present. Their numbers had stood for nothing against the Supreme Leader and his Knights of Ren, but still, there had been no flair or fun. She could tell Kylo had enjoyed it; he'd moved like an unstoppable force, cutting anything down in his path. Whether the Knights had revelled in the massacre was more difficult to tell. Kylo's emotions were evident, even with his mask on, via his body's movements and posture. The Knights were utterly devoid of any emotion; they merely went through the perfected trained motions for whichever fighting strategy was most efficient. 

Chromia knew Kylo and this girl were both powerful Force wielders, exceptionally strong with the Force. Chromia was strong too, not as strong as these two were, but she was not merely a Force-sensitive. She had never come across a presence like Kylo Ren before, and she was drawn to his dark presence and power. When the girl had landed, Chromia could feel her presence, equally as strong as Kylo's presence, but the girl's allegiance was to the light. When Hux had bought her services, his disdain for the Force had been apparent. Chromia had, therefore, kept her abilities secret, deeming it unnecessary for Hux to be aware. Chromia was an assassin, a hunter, skilled at bringing down those who were Force-sensitive or strong with the Force. Her abilities were helpful but not essential in doing so. For this specific mission, Chromia had acquired vials of Senflax-an immobilising neurotoxin, the effect of which would be to disconnect Kylo Ren and the girl from the Force as per Hux's request. She had used it in the past with a perfect track record of effectiveness. However, as a preventative to ensure success, she also had with her several stormtroopers with both blasters and flame throwers. For a powerful Force user such as Kylo Ren, it wasn't difficult to freeze a blaster shot in its path. The trick to take Jedi or Sith's hostage was to overpower them with the amount and with something unpredictable, hence the flame throwers.