Chapter 21 - The Grey

The Resistance and the New Republic members were all stood outside the main base door. The base was dug into the ground and covered with grass; the grass was everywhere. On top of the base stood Lando Calrissian. He was preparing to talk and tell the Resistance that despite their losses, they would continue and fight. Lando had tried to work on what he was going to say, but he couldn't think of anything but Kira. His beautiful, strong daughter, who'd joined the Resistance and become a spy in the First Order, had been cruelly executed by the new Supreme Leader Hux to demonstrate his power and rally his troops. How was Lando supposed to rally their troops with Kira and Leia gone? He had to get them to draw strength from their loss, never give up, and never surrender; this is why we fight- for those we love.

Lando felt he would never be ready, but he couldn't hold off any longer. He could sense the despair and needed to fix that if they had a chance. He raised his head and surveyed the gathered crowd.

"By now, I'm sure you've all heard the news: our leader, Princess Leia, General Organa, is gone. Killed by the First Order to weaken us, BUT WE ARE NOT WEAK! We've all lost people we care for at the hands of those who believe the galaxy needs order under their r rules. Mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and," Lando struggled for the briefest moment, "and daughters." A slight falter in his speech as he said daughter. Use it, he told himself. "Our grief unites us and makes us strong. The Deaths Of Those We Have Loved Will Not Be In Vain. For This Is What We Fight For, We Fight For Our Freedom, AND FOR THOSE WE LOVE!"

The crowd cheered in agreement, heads nodding and arms raised in unity.

"We will take the fight to them. Check your weapons, check your ships and be ready. We Are The Spark Of Hope In The Galaxy, and WE WILL NOT BE EXTINGUISHED. WE WILL BRING THE FIRST ORDER DOWN."

Lando stepped back, and the crowd cheered again. He breathed heavily; he hoped it would be enough. Now, the real plans had to be made. To his left, Colonel Poe Dameron stepped forward and raised both his hands, and the crowd hushed.

"We have great plans to make, but this is the time. We've only ever had a glimmer of hope, a small chance to defeat the First Order, but that glimmer has grown. We have more numbers than we've ever had, but the First Order is vast in comparison. Leia never gave up, never gave up fighting, fighting for what she knew was right and for those she loved. We will be working on plans. Anyone you think will join us, ask them, and anyone who thinks can help, tell us. We're going to need everything we've got and more."

He stepped back and signalled to Lando. Lando went to the two metal memorials that had been constructed. With a flaming torch in his hand, one after the other, he ignited the beacons. Bearing the light in his hand, he turned back to the crowd.

"For Kira. For Leia! MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US!"

"MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US!" the crowd roared back

-X-

Kylo was standing, arms crossed, looking over the ocean of grass as the breeze swayed it, giving the impression of waves. Dusk had fallen, and above the sea of grey grass was a clear sky scattered with stars. He had been let out of the bacta tank a day ago, thankfully not to return, although the doctor insisted on twice-daily check-ups. He had watched Lando and Poe's speeches with Rey standing at his side, and he'd felt conflicted. His mother had groomed Poe for leadership, a son to her that he had failed to be and within that idea had been that familiar resentful feeling he'd often felt towards his mother. He now understood that his mother had chosen Poe because he had chosen Snoke and the First Order. His choices had made hers for her. Kylo's resentment was now turned in on himself, becoming a mountain of regret. He was also conflicted, for he understood the Resistance's beliefs about the First Order, but the First Order, or at least not all of the First Order, was not what the Resistance thought, and he'd need to make them see that. Being here didn't mean he was part of the Resistance, but he had said he would do what he could. He'd fight with Rey, and he wouldn't let anything happen to her; he couldn't let anything happen to her.