Chapter 42

Ruqayyah's POV

"Ruqayyah!" The woman calls and I turn around to see my MUM.

"Do you know her?" Alex asks and I couldn't almost speak. She will take things the wrong way for sure.

"It's my mum," I face him and I already feel tears forming in my eyes.

"Calm down, Ruqayyah," He says although he seemed nervous himself, but at least he tried to look calm, "Don't be afraid, we were just talking when she saw us." He is right. If I act scared, my mum will have even more wrong ideas in her mind.

I try to breathe calmly, but as soon as I turned around again, I see my dad coming out from the neighbour's house.

That's it. I'm dead!

I didn't need to say anything because, by the look on my face, Alex understood who the man was.

"You told me your dad was an Imaam at the local mosque outside work right?" He asks and I nod, "Come with me," Alex says. He walks to my parents and I am seriously concerned right now.

What the heck is he planning to do?

There was a staring contest going on at first, but then Alex speaks, "Assalamu Aleykum, Mr..." He talks to my dad.

"Isa," My dad replied, looking less angry than my mum, accepting Alex's hand.

"And Mrs..."

"Ummu," My mum replied without a single grin on her face. Whatever he is going to say is not going to be convincing enough for my mum.

"I'm Alexandre. I go to the same college as your daughter. It's really nice to finally meet you. Your daughter mentioned that you are an Imaam at the local mosque, right?"

"Yes."

"I'm finding myself interested in Islam for some time now and lately I've been reading more related to it. I was wondering if perhaps whenever you are free, you could answer some of the questions I have regarding Islam." He explains and my dad nods curiously.

"Aren't you Alexandre Turner? Lewis Turner's son?" My dad recognises.

I think he did long ago, he just didn't mention it.

"Yes, and I know what you might be thinking. But I really don't have the same mindset as my dad. I have many Muslim friends and I don't share the same opinion towards them as my dad at all."

"That's really brave of you." My dad remarks, "Responding to your question, I will be more than glad to answer any questions you might have about Islam." My dad says to my surprise. Meanwhile, my mum was still glaring at me.

"That is great! Um... what about tomorrow?" He asks and I widen my eyes. Is he for real?

"Sounds good, it's my day off." My dad smiles but I knew this was not it. He is going to sit me down and give me a lecture about hanging out with a guy. But I always preferred the lectures over my mum's yelling and judgemental words.

"So tomorrow I'll be here insha'Allah."

Did Alex and my dad just agreed to meet in my house? Is this really happening?

I'm not going to get my expectations too high. My mum is still quiet and glaring at me.

"Then, I'll be going now. It was really nice to meet you both. Assalamu Aleykum." He shakes hands with my dad once more before turning to me and giving me a small smile.

I turn back to face my parents once Alex's car was out of sight.

I was waiting for my parents to say something, but they did not, at least my mum did not. My mum just held Khadija from me and she walked inside the house.