Chapter 2

Thank you for reading please remember to vote! I love to hear from you opinions on the story, characters or POVs you'd like to see. Please let me know.

Enjoy 😊

Ryan

It's only ten in the morning, I don't have time for this. First we were low on the vaccines, now Rick has broken his arm. Can anything else go wrong? Pops and I slam into the main house to the kitchen taking a quick break trying to figure out what we're going to do. We still have thirty head of cattle that need vaccines and none to give them, Nat took Rick to the ER so we're short handed and the princess has yet to be seen this morning. I've got a new foal that needs caring to, stalls still to be mucked out, half the cattle to be moved and not enough hands to do the work. What the fuck!

"Ryan, it'll be fine. We'll order the vaccines from Doc and as soon as they come in, we'll finish them up. It's all we can do." Pops tells me as he pours himself a glass of juice. I swear my father never loses his cool. I have no idea where my temper came from because it wasn't from him.

"And how the fuck do we pay for that? The last time I saw Doc he said no more until our account was paid in full. There's not enough money to pay for the vaccines, Pops! We need hay, vaccines, money for payroll, not to mention the mortgage, power and water. Pops, we're screwed unless the princess has something up her sleeve she's not sharing, but since she's MIA this morning. I'd say we're on our own."

That's when I heard the soft groan from behind me and turned around. Slowly, sitting up on the couch was a blonde girl that looked like she had a very rough night. Her hair was messed up as she pushed it out of her face. Her eyes were red and puffy. Shit! She looks like she's spent a good part of the night crying. Her clothes were wrinkled up as she unwrapped herself from one of Stella's blankets. She's looks like she had a long rough night in the sheets and damn does she look sexy. It's a really good thing I didn't stay. I looked past her to the empty bottle of whiskey that was on the coffee table. She polished off that bottle by herself last night? It was three quarters full. Damn! I'm not sure if I'm partially to blame for that with what I said before I left. Shit! Now I'm feeling a little bad about that. Maybe I was a little hard on her.

"Charlie? Honey, did you sleep on the couch last night? Why didn't you take one of the bedrooms?" Pops asks walking around me and over to her. He takes the blanket and tosses it over the back of the couch and sees the whiskey bottle and looks at her then to me. He knows she didn't have a good night too.

"Yeah, I guess I fell asleep out here. I heard your short handed and one of the guys broke his arm, is he okay?" She walks past both of us and fumbles around the kitchen trying to make some coffee. Her coordination isn't there yet. The bright morning sunlight is messing with her vision and I can tell her head is pounding hard.

"Rick got a kick to his arm doing vaccines. Nat took him to the ER, he'll be just fine, honey." Pops explains.

"You said you're short money." She looks right at me, daggers in her eyes and her back is up ready for a fight. Fuck! that look she's giving me right now!

"Yeah, damn short." I tell her without getting into it. She's not ready for this yet. This isn't a fight she wants to do with the hangover she dealing with. I pushed her too hard last night and I feel bad. I shouldn't have laid into her as hard as I did. I know I was a dick. I'm trying to hold back on her now though. I can see she's not ready to take me on again.

"How much?" She asks and I just shake my head. "How much do we need?" She yells and grabs the side of her head, closing her eyes. Her own voice caused her that pain. Oh yeah, she's seriously hungover. Rubbing her temple she's trying to get a hold of herself. She's going to cause herself more damage she keeps going this way.