Luke's Nephew

CHAPTER ONELuke's Nephew

CHAPTER ONE
Luke's Nephew

"I'm gonna pull a John Bender if I'm not let out of this classroom in the next five seconds."

My fingers curled over the edge of my small, creaky desk, pulling myself forward so that I leaned not so discreetly over my messy paperwork and right beside Lane's ear. "Wanna distract Mr. Boiler while I pull the fire alarm?"

The raven-haired girl clicked her tongue distastefully and waved her hand at my face, making me fall back into my seat. She always fell gullible to my distractions in class, but now that we were well into our first week of junior year at Stars Hallow High, she was sure not to let it become a regular occurrence. In all honesty, it bummed me out a bit, as she was my sole distraction from paying attention in class, and it was all turning to dust. Oh, Lane. This desire to learn won't last. You poor, naive soul.

My head fell back so that my chin titled toward the sky, and my eyes trailed down a long, single crack in the cheap ecru paint of the wall. It must've been repainted over the summer, as there used to be more cracks and chips in the ceiling—but now there was merely one. It was an arduous journey, having made my head dizzy from my eyes darting back and forth so much following it; the trail lead to a large round clock, which read 2:58. Just two more painfully slow minutes. I didn't think I'd make it.

"Heather—eyes on me, please. You don't want to miss this." Mr. Boiler's nasally voice made me want to accidentally stab myself with a pair of meat scissors, but I obliged, my eyes averting to his small, gooey ones that barely opened behind his large blocky glasses. I awkwardly smiled until he looked away, not bothering to show off my pearly teeth, as he'd always say. Once he pivoted to the wall behind him and turned his words into letters on the chalkboard, my smile fell. What was the point of listening if he was going to write down the homework anyway?

I was on the verge of hurting someone, anyone to make the intolerable pain in my mind stop. That was how much of a nightmare school was for me, being bored all the time. It physically hurt having nothing to do with myself. Lane continued to scribble into her notebook, which made me angry for no apparent reason. Why was she still taking notes when the teacher stopped giving the lesson ten minutes ago?

Fortunately, saving the classroom from incurring my insufferable wrath, the bell rang above my head, sounding of a celestial hymn in my blessed ears. The sound was so sweet that I had to stay in my desk for a short moment to appreciate the taste of pure freedom. Heedlessly, I shoved my papers into my backpack and threw it over my shoulder, waving farewell to Lane before running out of the room.

Mr. Boiler watched, disappointed, but I was better than to care about what he had to say about my attitude toward him. He was simply jealous that I had better things to do with my life than sit through a lesson I remembered first learning in the seventh grade.

I sauntered across the street and down the sidewalk to where Luke's stood. Every time the first day of school started for either me or Rory, we'd meet up afterward to gossip about who'd first get pregnant that year, or who'd win the first place prize for the worst haircut. It was a simple tradition we liked to keep up, even by Lorelai, Rory's mother. She usually joined in on the annual occasion.