Chapter 1: The Kindle Ignites

Teracon Year 5,876

January 27th

5:43 AM

"Captain Aybrams of The Liberation, sortieing Maestros!" came my fiance's silken voice through the comm in my ear.

I reached forwards and zoomed in my ship's cameras onto The Liberation, the huge battleship uniquely outfitted to act as a carrier for the gigantic robotic suits we called 'Maestros'. The name was an acronym, but not one I cared to ever use given its ridiculous length. One after another the huge suits streaked forwards into space from The Liberation's hangar, propelled by the powerful thrusters built into their backs and limbs, and began their controlled descents towards the big blue orb slowly rotating below us.

The liberation of Lanium-4 had been chosen to serve as the first real test of the Maestro's capabilities. They had been worked on for decades, meant to each be a monument to the perfection of the human form, to be a manifestation of the human spirit given power, yet they had never once been used in a real combat situation, and the order had finally been given to change this.

From up in orbit, though, my ship wouldn't even be able to see the battle. 

I opened a direct connection to Kaeya's comm, clearing my throat before I spoke, "Everything going smoothly over there?"

I heard a faint, suppressed giggle quickly followed by Kaeya replying in a stern whisper, "Kalani! What are you doing calling me in the middle of an operation?"

 I grinned, reveling in the clandestineness of our conversation, "What? Can't a diligent Technician call his Captain to check in?"

I could hear the smile in her voice, though she did her best to maintain her stern tone, "No! He can't, actually! If I need your help with something, then I would ask for it over the official channel!"

I let out a chuckle, delighted just to hear her voice, "But you do need something, yet you haven't asked for it."

She let out an audible sigh, "And what might that be, Kalani?"

"Comfort,"  I replied simply, nodding my head with satisfaction. "I know this operation is very stressful for you, so I'm here to help you stay relaxed and calm."

She let out a chuckle of her own, and I could practically see her shaking her head, "You are really something, you know that?"

I grinned widely, delighted to know that I genuinely was helping her, "You tell me that occasionally."

She let out a gentle laugh, her quiet whisper softening, "Alright, I have to get back to doing my job now. But thank you, Kalani. I love you."

"I love you too," I replied, grinning from ear to ear.

Then I woke up.

Galactic Year 10,744

March 23rd

11:13 AM

I slumped down in the lone pilot's seat, mentally cursing the pain of dreaming about the past as I stared at my reflection in the glass of the cockpit's windows. My hair had grown out far too long, turning into a greasy, unkempt mess atop my head, and a long, patchy beard had snuck onto my face. My cheeks were gaunt, my eyes sunken and empty.